FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Recommendations?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:25pm
Good afternoon all,

As jazz was never one of my music "specialities", I thought where better to turn than the wealth of knowledge here. I'm not sure why but since building my new PC and finally accessing my music collection again for the first time since February, I find that I've been drawn to the relaxing vibes of jazz and other "easy listening" genres which typically fall into the lesser populated end of my collection.

I know jazz can be grouped into different categories but I've never been keen on the "plink-plonk" jazz club stuff where everyone seems to be doing their own thing (although I do appreciate great musicians). Before I ask for recommendations though, it would probably make sense to establish what I do like?

I was brought up on a lot of 50s music and film so Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, etc are ok although I do prefer velvety female vocals (I already have Norah Jones' back catalogue). My recent demo of the FH3 speakers introduced me to Anouar Brahem (world jazz?) so his name was noted for my next shopping spree. I half-heartedly discovered Marta Gomez a few years ago but listening to her Cantos de Agua Dulce album yesterday was a treat.

Mongo Santamaria's - Watermelon Man is also fantastic and is one of my longer-owned albums. Apart from Latin jazz I also like instrumental types, with Jimmy Smith being a favourite. Looking at his immense discography though, I have no idea if his style remained the same or not as the only full album I have is The Cat which I absolutely love. I also know a few songs from his Virginia Woolf album which is on my shopping list but as they are the same style, I guess it is safe to put me down as a fan ("big band"?). But can you recommend any other of his albums for me to get stuck into? What other artists/albums should I consider?

Thanks in advance of your suggestions.

Tim

Edited by miT - 13 Dec 2016 at 7:57am
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 11:50pm
Try Gregory Porter 'Liquid spirit' or 'Take me to the alley' album. Also, one of Cecile McLorin Salvant album.

Let me know how you find them! 
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:14pm
Thanks Godra. I sampled both on YouTube this morning. Loving Gregory Porter! The intro for the video of Liquid Spirit perfectly demonstrates the jazz I don't like, he does it as a joke.

I have added him to my shoppin list as well.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:14pm
I go to this You Tube channel for my new jazz ideas. Loads of good stuff here. I found out about jazz harpist Dorothy Ashby from this channel, and now have four of her albums on vinyl. I have been known to download the videos from this channel and rip the soundtrack into FLAC files . . . EmbarrassedWink

Try this:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:26pm
@miT :I'm happy that you loved Gregory Porter. I've been listening to his lp for one years and still find it great!

@morris_minor : Great channel, I just subscribed to it. Thanks!
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:03pm
morris_minor: Thanks Bob! Also subscribed.

Godra: I've started annoying my wife by playing Hey Laura so often already. Very soulful, which happens to be another of my favourite genres. The CD is already on my Amazon wish list; hope to buy a few albums today.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:13am
miT : Hey Laura is one of my favorite too (and of my girlfriend too) Big smile ! Try to listen to 'Time is ticking' on Youtube. It's a bonus song on Liquid Spirit LP. I love it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic