FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

AKG K-702

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 10:04pm
That it would be Ash. It's been a few months since I last did that with mine but from memory, K701s where airier than the HD540IIs. I don't really remember the HD800s apart from them grating my ears with certain types of music on a demo. I'm pretty sure they were extremely open, but they cheat a bit with the distanced, angled design of the driver.
Hifiman HE1000s though... You HAVE to listen to those! Mind-blown.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 1:20pm
I just found this on Youtube, and it's rather appropriate - it shows AKG K-702s being made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 11:20pm
The K-702s have been on soak for the second week, and during that time they come even more on song.
I'm currently playing Joan Armatrading's eponymous album, and Jerry Donohue's stinging, singing, mournful solo on the last track, "Tall In The Saddle" was beautifully rendered in all of it's sweet but savage glory.

The last few nights I've been listening to vinyl records, mainly through the AKGs, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.
It keeps the neighbours sweet, and the sounds can be breathtaking.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 3:06pm
Glad you're enjoying the K-702. Not sure whether they would be more "airy" in sound than the HD540II (probably be about the same if both properly set up before comparison) but I reckon they'd project a bigger stereo image size than the 540 because of the larger diameter driver, closer to that of the HD800. Maybe if Graham ever does another Roadshow in the future, I could have another listen.
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:50pm
I am listening to the AKG 702 right now, amplified by the Bitzie. I can´t hear any traces of high frequency distortion, as Graham mentioned in an earlier post some years ago. In fact, in my opinion these cans are super. ( Compared to the Sennheiser HD600, which I also own, the Sennheiser sound is in my opinion kind of muffled.) The AKG is very dependent of the source material. Good recordings are just stunning with these cans, but the not so very good recordings out there are unmasked as poor without pardon. These recordings just need cans that mask the shortcomings. I think this is very much the case with most rock-recordings. For good recorded jazz or classical, few cans for the price beat these cans.  

There is no posts in this thread during last two years, but since then the Harman owned AKG has been sold to Samsung, and the Austrian headquarter in Vienna is shut down. The AKG 702 is made in Austria, and it can be found for a very good price. I think the future for these cans are uncertain. I would recommend anyone interested in these can´s to have a try withe these now, since they may be gone in a near future. My guess only, but I don´t think Samsung bought Harman because they felt a urging need to get into the high end audio industry.    
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:24pm
That's interesting news, Pär - thanks for the "warning". Yes, I too doubt Samsung want to get into high end audio!

For anyone interested, "manufacturer refurbished units" are available for £84 here. I am, er, tempted Embarrassed
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:49pm
Go for 'em Bob - mine are in regular use, and have seen off all comers around here.

The last cans to visit were Sennheiser HD-700s, and they were much better balanced sounding than the HD-650s I borrowed a few years ago.
They HD-700s still have that overly polite and shut in top end that the HD-650s have.
The K-702s properly tell you what's going on in the higher registers, and despite claims of them being bass light put in decent lower register performance too.

They're really easy to drive - I am currently monitoring a recording in progress on my Tascam DR-07MkII, and the Tascam powers my K-702s without any difficulty.

My son keeps pinching them too, so I might buy another pair, and those factory refurbs could be just the ticket.

You won't be disappointed - at around the cost of 3 Superlux HD681 Evos they're a bargain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic