FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager/Ipod 3.5mm i-lead (at last!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Jitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 6:37pm
Just ordered one of these http://whathifi.com/Review/Russ-Andrews-GQ-24/
Much cheaper now
Will let you know how I get on (long delvery - out of stock)
...... and that's my opinion, take or leave it
Quabbage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quabbage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 11:18am
Hi - first post. I've bought one of the Russ Andrews cables to go with my brand new Voyager (I didn't fancy using the iPod headphone out) and I am hearing random popping / cracking noises on play back from my 4G Nano to HD650s. Anyone else had a similar experience? Is it a static issue? Thanks.
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 6:34pm
Hi Quabbage,

Welcome to the community.

Sounds to me like the dock connector is breaking up already to me.  Try squeezing the dock connector and waggling the wire about - can you make it happen by doing that?  As I've said elsewhere, making one that will last and stand up to the rigours of being in/out of your coat pocket etc etc is hard.  I wonder how long Russ spent testing it on the train/walking/running etc.  Would be difficult from the comfort of his yacht eh?..

Back to us mortals who call a spade a spade and are hear for the long run, not the fast buck.  The best we've come up with is the SendStation pocketdock products with a separate 3.5mm jack lead (you can get them to RCA phonos if you know the right retailer
:-) ).  There are pictures of their products on this thread and elsewhere - you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Jeez, 650s on your Voyager, now that's class on the train eh!?  Good on you.
Quabbage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quabbage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 10:04am
Thanks for your reply Darren.

I don't think it's the dock connector -  I have tried what you suggested and couldn't cause crackles to happen.  It does seem to be a random crackle that I am experiencing (almost like a vinyl pop - not very frequent and not in the same positions in songs) and not linked to movement or the position of the cable.

I'll continue to try to figure it out and if I do I'll let people know here.

Your cable looks great but as I can't demo it I'd need to hear other people's views of it (particularly with the SendStation) before biting.  Can you or anyone else post some reviews?

Oh and the 650s are for home use ;o) I just like to, ahem, voyage around my house... and the combo of Voyager and 650s sounds good enough to me... for now anyway...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 1:22pm
Are you local?  Can you pop round to hear mine?

Re the cracking, I did have some problems with my ipod similar but it was from when I imported the cd originally into itunes.  I think what happened was that, if I opened another application whilst waiting for the cd to burn, it made the cd "skip" then when the ipod tried to play it, it was jumping around trying to find it and that sounded like a static crackle in the earphones.  Does that help?!
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 12:32am

Interesting that Darren, I am no great mobile headfi user, so no extensive experience there.

I do recall fooling around with itunes at one time though, trying to get it to do something or other for Miguel IIRC.

The problem of introduced noise when using itunes for ripping though does ring a bell, never particularly tried to track down the problem, insufficient need.

Think I still have a track or two I ripped with itunes that had "blips" in them, you may well be onto something there, IIRC I used an old Mac 9600 with a G3 card in it to do the ripping and just put the poor results down to elderly hardware and old software.

Not sure about the randomness on replay though, the whole exercise was some time ago now and memory somewhat hazy.

Might well repay some investigation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 8:08am
Yes, I never took a scientific approach to whether or not it happened at a particular point in a particular track etc every time.  Problem of course is you're sitting on a train or similar when it happens and all you want is for more music to come in.  On some tracks I get the skipping but on others I will be half way through a track and it will just skip and cut off then starts again at the next track.  That is down to the error correction software I think trying to find the next bit of material it recognises and can play - it seems to try a couple of times then give up and head for the next track.

Let us know if you find anything out from your investigations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic