FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mono switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hoy-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoy-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 11:07pm
Thanks guys I'm aiming for a Reflex C, in the meantime I'll use the MC phono stage of my XTZ A100
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 11:24pm
Welcome Michael. You are welcome to borrow a Reflex C to compare to your built in stage. I agree with Bob about re-mono'ing the fake/filtered stereo mixes.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Hoy-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoy-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:24am
What era do the fake/filtered stereo mixes come from? My earliest discs are early Dylan, the Stones, the Who etc. The only albums I have that sound bad in this respect are the Beatles red and blue stereo, which I got as a 21st present all those years age when I thought they were great, now they send me nuts. 

Mike
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:36am
The period when processed stereo was prevalent was probably the mid to late 60s. Record companies saw the demand for (proper) stereo records rising and so wanted to pander to this by releasing mono recordings with a "stereo" label. Generally the fake stereo was made by adding some reverb and frequency filtering (different in left/right).

Early (proper) stereo was quite crude by todays standards - lots of hard panning left and right and sometimes (IMO) a lack of cohesiveness in the "soundstage". The Beatles, for instance, only took a personal interest in their mono mixes. The stereo versions weren't given the same care.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 8:01pm
Ironically enough The Beatles stereo releases weren't tinkered about with to any great extent.
They recorded in multitrack (four track), and a fair bit of pre production/recording planning went into each song, so they'd bounce multiple tracks onto one and then layer overdubs or do further bounce downs.

Their stereo releases were simply worked from the final multitrack tape, not a mono master tape.

The reason for the initial multitracking was so that George Martin had control of the EQ for the mono mixes.
It was far easier for him to get the final EQ right.
Hoy-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoy-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 2:38pm
If you have a dedicated mono cartridge do you have any use for the mono switch? I've discovered the MC side of my amp doesn't work so I need to move on this. Cant make up my mind between a Fanfare + PSU, or Reflex C??

Mike
Mike

Garrard 401, Jelco SA 750L, AT33EV+AT33 mono, Yannis Tome 423.5 tonearm cable, Reflex C, XTZ A100 D3, Azur 650C CDP, cables- Yannis Tome 223.5, Kef LS50, Novo headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650,
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 3:05pm
Would you like to borrow both to compare them?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic