FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius majic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 11:44pm
Finally, with all the interconnects arrived, all the connections have been made. I have tried different combinations, but I will stick to my original set up (see first post) for now. (Sticking an optical cable between AV receiver and Majestic gave a hell of a crackle - total technical ignorance on my part: I still don't know what went wrong there. Very dangerous, letting people like me 'experiment' with connections. Luckily everything seems alright now.) Right now I am testing difference between the sound coming from 2 channel SACD-layer via AV receiver to speakers (so no Graham Slee), and the sound from CD-layer (same CD) directly via Majestic to Propriusses. I like the Graham Slee better :-) Even though my Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanding speakers are maybe a bit bright. I guess a review would be appropriate (in the review section). But if I may be allowed here to sum up the difference in just a few words: clearer separation between instruments and a more open (3D?) sound stage, with enhancement of finer nuances. As if the Majestic and Propriusses are diligently and disciplinedly working together to let us really hear everyting that was recorded (especially nice with human voices, coming 'alive'), while still keeping things together in a beautifully musical whole.

Edited by Fuzzy - 08 Oct 2016 at 12:01am
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 8:41am
Hi Jan, glad to hear that you're getting to enjoy the benefits of your Majestic and Proprius.
The "noise" from your optical link is probably due to an incorrect setting of the AV receiver optical output. Somewhere in the AV receiver menus you should be able to select the type of digital output, which should be Stereo, not Dolby digital or or a multi channel option.
Hope this helps.
Happy Listening,
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 9:36pm
Thank you all very much for your input and advice! I did change my connections/set up, actually, to get the most out of the Majestic-Proprius combination. The Gram Amp 2 SE is now directly connected to the Majestic, as it should, as well as the CD-player. I haven't been able to work out a solution whereby the Majestic can be 'spliced' into the surround set up of my AV receiver, for example via optical out, but that is not really necessary, since I have made the set up in a way so as to be able to shift speaker cables in an instant (banana plugs). Anyway, I listen stereo most of the time now anyway. And great stereo indeed :-)
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
I would't know in which thread to put this question, but I have kind of a problem. Most of the connections on my Majestic don't seem to be working anymore. The analogue line out and line in still work (I can still listen LP's via speakers and headphone), but the digital inputs don't. I did not change anything with the connections. Still, it might be something I did wrong. Anyone ever experienced something like this? I hope it is something I overlooked and not a technical failure/fault.

Edited by Fuzzy - 03 Sep 2017 at 1:25pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:30pm
Check that all 3 switches are in the up position for digital sources.
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:37pm
They are, of course

(But you will see that in the end it will prove to be something silly like that which caused the "fault" with my settings/device. I hope..)
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 1:50pm
Best to start with the simplle things, I've fallen into the switch trap!! After a bit of houskeeping yesterday, later in the evening, I noticed a red glow beneath the Majestic. One of the optical cables had come loose and was illuminating the underside of the Majestic, in daylight it would have taken a while to spot.
Are the connections to the Majestic PSU1 secure? The digital and analogue supplies are separate, so if the connectors have become loose it could be that only the analogue circuits are powered, unlikely but possible I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic