FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius majic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius majic
    Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:21am
Now that I was able to get a super deal on a pair of Proprius, I will be adding those to my set up in a few days. Very interested what difference it will make to the sound. Finally, my Majestic can go work its majic (some kind of pun there, but not certain if it is at all relevant to this topic ;-) together with the pair of Proprius. I hope. I mean, none of the interconnects are GSP Audio. Yet. (CD-player connected directly to Majestic DAC. Gram Amp 2 SE phonostage connected to pre out on AV receiver, connected to Majestic via S/PDIF.) I hope to put my listening experience into words sometime next week
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:58pm
That's great news, Jan! I look forward to hearing your comments . .

Are you going to try connecting the GA2SE directly to the analogue input on the Majestic? Taking out the AD-DA conversion would make the most of the 2SE's quality. Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:25pm
Yes, connecting directly would be the wisest thing to do. (Done it right now ;-) And thanks for the reminder :-) Made me think again about how to connect it all together here. Because I also still have a surround system I listen to now and then. I am still trying to get my small brain around how I could integrate my AV-receiver into the system. Probably switching back and forth front speakers between AVR and Proprius depending on source. Easy enough I guess.

Edited by Fuzzy - 30 Sep 2016 at 10:05pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 1:11pm
There may be a way to do this depending on your AVR connections . . .

If your AVR has an S/PDIF output, this could go to the Majestic (co-ax or optical) and on to the Proprii for the front speakers. Connect your rear/centre speakers as normal. The 2SE would go direct to the Majestic. There may be reasons why this wouldn't work, of course, but maybe it's worth exploring.

I have a slightly different setup myself:

I use an Audiolab 8200AP in my living room system which is basically an audio processor with video switching. The Proprii are connected to the front speaker outputs, and I've a small stereo amp connected to the rears. I don't bother with a centre speaker . . . My Era Gold V goes into an analogue input on the Audiolab. The system gets used for music more than movies, with either vinyl or digital from a Squeezebox.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 5:13pm
I had the same issue; 2 analogue inputs required for vinyl and CD. I ditched the CD and bought a transport. A really good move as it turns out. The Majestic transport combo leaves my old CD player for dead, especially through the Proprii. Hello sound stage.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 7:50pm
Thank you for the information. Well, at least I will have a few different options to explore. Anyhow, I will persevere and succeed ;-)

Edited by Fuzzy - 01 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:45pm
Yes the digital music comes to life when converted by the Majestic. I have an Audiolab 8200CD which was my main DAC before the Majestic lit up my listening life. Occasionally I do connect the CDP's analogue outputs into my Proprius amps, listen a bit, find it full on and lose interest. By contrast it does a fine job as a CD transport feeding the Majestic via SPDIF for those times when I want to hear a new CD quickly.

So Jan's setup seems practical and my experience suggests that it probably makes the best use of the equipment involved.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic