FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic cabling priority

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:10pm
I'm also of the belief that "cable is best". Although FM Radio can sound fantastic and that's a wireless transmission so what do I know.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:12pm
Does your Airplay receiver have a Toslink out connection?
If so I'd use that.
Getting an SPDIF off an iPod or iPad is a big ask.
Some of the MacBooks have a dual use headphone output - it can be set to optical output.

Edited by Chris Firth - 26 Sep 2016 at 11:12am
cypsela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cypsela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 8:18pm
I have now checked that I already have an optical connection suitable for connection to the AirPort receiver,but that nevertheless involves using wireless AirPlay forward of the AirPort unit.Given Graham's comments , will that not defeat the whole object of the exercise?
David
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 10:15pm
Not necessarily.
The digital connection from the Airplay receiver to the DAC should be carrying 16/44.1 PCM at the very least, so you'd get the benefit of a better performing DAC.
You could also switch between the Airplay receiver's analogue outputs and the Toslink, and judge from there which gives the better sound - my bet is on the Majestic having the better sound quality.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:07pm
I don't know if this is relevant but I don't connect my Apple devices to the hi-fi directly. I purchased a Squeezebox Touch on eBay. With this I am able to transmit the contents of my iTunes playlists on my iMac using Wi-Fi through the Touch. This is wired directly to the Majestic (not using the Squeezebox DAC) and then on to a pair of Proprius amplifiers and a pair of PMC Fact 8 speakers. Thanks to Jon I am temporarily using an improved power supply on the Squeezebox Touch and I have to say (as others can testify) that it gives fantastic results with digital music. Who needs an expensive CD player when you can get music that sounds as amazing as this!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 2:44pm
I can vouch for the Squeezebox route, Phil.
I am a long time user myself, and have 3 Touch players sat here currently.

Are you running LMS on the Mac, or is there a way to address the Squeezebox player directly from the Mac?
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I can vouch for the Squeezebox route, Phil.
I am a long time user myself, and have 3 Touch players sat here currently.

Are you running LMS on the Mac, or is there a way to address the Squeezebox player directly from the Mac?

Actually, I also have three. One on my lounge speaker system, another on my bedroom headphones system and one spare in case either of the other two stop working. I use the Logitech Media Server on my Mac. For those who don't know, this scans one's iTunes playlists and folder and allows it to be streamed to the Squeezebox Touch. Being able to use your original playlists is a godsend when it comes to finding music in a very large music collection.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic