FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic and Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cypsela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cypsela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majestic and Proprius
    Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 9:18pm
I am planning to buy a Majestic but I am unsure of the preferred method of cabling and siting to two Proprius amps I have acquired.
From reading various posts,I have concluded that siting the two Proprius close to the speakers is the preferred option,using Libran connections between Majestic and Proprius.I would need cable lengths of approx 2 and 5metres.
The alternative would be to site the Majestic together with the two Proprius.

David
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:04pm
Both options will give you very good results IMO. I have my Proprius amps in the hifi rack very close to my Majestic, with 4m Spatia cables connecting the amps to my speakers. In hindsight I might have gone for two long balanced cables (i.e. Libran as you wrote above) to amps close to or on the speakers, probably using Spatia jumpers to connect to each speaker.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by cypsela cypsela wrote:

I am planning to buy a Majestic but I am unsure of the preferred method of cabling and siting to two Proprius amps I have acquired.
From reading various posts,I have concluded that siting the two Proprius close to the speakers is the preferred option,using Libran connections between Majestic and Proprius.I would need cable lengths of approx 2 and 5metres.
The alternative would be to site the Majestic together with the two Proprius.

Like Jon, and on good advice, I have my Proprius amps below my Majestic. It sounds really great and I have no wish to change anything.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:08am
I don't use a Majestic but I have short cables from my Accession to Proprius & then 4m Spatia. The sound is brilliant. I haven't tried the other way round so I don't know if there is any advantage to be gained but I believe that they were designed with at least half an eye on locating them close to the speakers. I might have tried them that way but the piano lacquer finish on my speakers means I wont be screwing anything to the back of them and I'd rather have the Proprius on the rack than the floor.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 2:02pm
I felt obliged to try the other way round so used four pairs of jumpers from the loan cupboard and made up a 2m and a 5m balanced cable (not a Libran but copper wires and PE dielectric). I burned in the balanced cables and had a listen to them with my 4m Spatia cables before moving the Proprius amps to my speakers.

Initially I am cot convinced I hear any difference between my 4m bi-wire from the rack and the 15cm jumper bi-wire from each amp just behind the speaker. Tip: make sure your amps are away from reflex port(s). I put the amps on a pile of paperback books BTW to ensure airflow/cooling which worked fine. Like Dave I'd prefer not to screw the amps onto my veneered and curvy speakers despite GSP's ingenious mounting system. So I would probably unscrew the amps' feet then use long bolts as stilts, with locking nuts to secure the bolts without electrical contact with anything inside.

Anyway I am going to listen a bit longer and decide over time how the sound differs, assuming it does. At the moment I'm looking at the space on my hi-fi rack where the amps were and probably will be again soon.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 11:04pm
I must admit that I am liking the sound with the short speaker cables. I quickly made some DIY speaker leads with banana plugs on one end and bared wire to contact the speaker terminals. It seems bold/dynamic and think there is slightly more deep bass. Not what I expected so I'll be reinserting the 4m leads for direct comparison and more listening, the fun bit.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:54pm
After a couple more hours of listening at reasonable volume this evening I am reluctant to change the speaker/amp setup. I did reinstall the TT and EDO software on my Squeezebox Touch after finally noticing I'd installed the WLAN version (to be fair they are mislabelled), so started again with the wifi-less version which works fine with my network cabling.

Anyway it seemed a good excuse to play some old favourites as test tracks and some recently ripped CD's and v-ripped LP's.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic