FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

phono upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Steve Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: phono upgrade
    Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:52am
Hi
I'm a new member looking at upgrades for my vinyl system in particular the phono stage and possibly interconnect. My system consists of L*nn Axis with Akito arm and Dynavector DV-10X5 high output moving coil cartridge 2.8mV and reduction of impededance to 150 ohms into Rega fono amp [MM] and I've swapped between Chord Chameleon and Rega couple interconnects with little between them sound wise although the Chord is perhaps more revealing and the Rega has maybe a little more extension to the base . My amp is the integrated Primare i32 with Chord Twin Epic speaker cables into Neat SX2 speakers. Curiousity / spending more money as always is a difficult pathway with so many choices and claims of musical Nirvana but the chance of yet more listening pleasure is hard to pass up ! I love listening to acoustic music of all genre with that live almost touchable open sound that vinyl is so good at. On researching your phono amps the Reflex seems a possibility but would this be MM or MC for high output MC cartridge? Also is there an interconnect cable which is specific for phono ? Any help would be greatly appreciated to avoid the wrong purchase.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:07pm
Hello and welcome. It is a complex path though with Graham's wares you do get well designed, supported and well priced items.

The reflex is a very good phono stage. Whilst a lot more the accession is on another level if at all affordable?

Cables are important and whilst I have not been in a position to try any from the loan scheme due to my sizes/ configuration Graham's come well recommended.

I did try the epic twin some years ago which I liked but something in the upper mid which didn't agree with me so chose another option which were better in all respects -actually for sale now as replaced.

If you follow the loan scheme you should be able to satisfy yourself before you commit.

Good look

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 4:04pm
Hi Richard
Thanks for reply-accession from reviews looks amazing but more than I can justify and afford at home! I'll be looking at the loan scheme at some stage. The mix of cables seems to have more tonal effect than I gave credit too. Previous to Twin Epic cables I had L*nn K20 and the additional information heard with the chord cables was amazing particularly on adding chameleon interconnect. The proof is only on having and living with upgrades in situation within your system do you understand their characteristics and then your budget is shot.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:24pm
Welcome Steve,
A high output MC of 2.8mV will work with the Reflex M, if a lower input impedance is necessary some "load plugs" can be connected using T phono adaptors to give the desired load.
As Richard points out the loan scheme is a brilliant way of finding out what suits you in your own system for just the cost of postage.
Happy Listening

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:26pm
Have another welcome from me, Steve . . . Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:50pm
Welcome from me too Steve. Both the Reflex M & Accession are outstanding phono stages

As a previous user of Chamelion, I tried a Graham Slee Lautus & was suitably impressed to change the entire system to this (+Spatia speaker cables). Some of the Ch..d cables were sold, the remainder are sitting unused & unloved in the loft. 

I agree with others that the loan scheme is a great way to check phono stages, cables etc out & see for yourself how the gear works in your own system.

Edited by Drewan77 - 28 Aug 2016 at 6:02pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:16pm
Hi
Thank you all for welcome. I will look at loan system asap. I've not heard a bad review of any Graham Slee product and the opportunity to try before you buy is really helpful.Looking forward to listening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic