FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Loudspeaker EQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:48pm
Yes I agree if the price is compared to a set of standard spikes or some gel pads - both products are fine at what they do and much cheaper. However £400 is not expensive compared to similar products to the Gaia, like Townshend Seismic bars, Stillpoints, etc.

Sadly unlike HFC there isn't a loan scheme but I would have returned the Gaia feet if they didn't work very well.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:56pm
In January I started to look again at my GX300 crossovers. I use a handy program called Passive Crossover Designer which I feed with measurements taken with REW v5.1, both are freeware and really good in the latest versions in my opinion. I bought a U-MIK test mic recently and downloaded the calibration curve for my serial number and it led me to do a lot of driver and speaker testing before being ill.

REW's response curves, waterfalls, and other graphs are really interesting. I've written about them before in the room acoustics context so will not digress. I started to look at the distortion analysis this time and have been measuring various speakers in my collection with the sine wave sweep and also with two tone/intermodulation tests. Very interesting, especially when comparing closeup readings with listening position. The latter picks up more of the room's contribution obviously but also shows how being off axis can reduce the closeup distortion.

On my GX300, which I still enjoy, I am toying with adding the missing inductor to make the midrange LPF third order to match the third order HPF on the tweeters. I have rigged the extra part up to listen and to measure the impact, still not sure it's worth the admittedly limited effort to make the change properly. Temptation may overcome me yet...

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:21pm
Apologies for leaving this hanging. I will follow up on this potential development when I have a chance.
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:03pm
I did eventually rig up an A/B switching arrangement for that inductor feeding the midrange speaker. Very short cables which stayed in circuit but shorted out the new inductor.

I used a fixed position for a calibrated microphone and REW software to measure the frequency response and THD with and without. Miniscule difference, slighlty steeper rolloff and about 0.2% less THD. Which is probably inaudible. So I reverted to stock crossover, moved the test gear away, popped the inductors into one of my spares boxes, and then played more music which was nice.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:10pm
An obvious development was wiring a low value resistor in front of the + terminal on the LF side of the crossover. I worked out that 2R7 would give me a gradual rolloff to about -3dB at around 50Hz, and it did. Subtle but audible on some records.

It is very similar to the approach above with the switchable resistor in front of the tweeter filtering of the crossover. The switchable response on the PMC Fact speakers inspired my experiments.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:34pm
Now an interesting finding: you can make a simple tone control using your loudspeakers, essentially a 'tilt' control where you subtly alter the balance of bass and treble extremes. Please don't try this if your amp's manual has warnings about speaker connections or you are nervous about breaking something by getting the wiring wrong.

I am assuming the speakers have separate LF and HF terminals and you normally link these together.

Please leave the link between the black or minus terminals in place and take out the red or positive link. You may wish to lower the volume on the amplifier first or put on standby if it is a valve amp. Check carefully that you are not shorting out the amplifier, the resistor should go where the link was between the two red/+ terminals. I take no responsibility if you do something silly or dangerous. If in doubt you shouldn't try this but take care and you may like the result.

Lets say you want to have more bass...
  • Plug the red/+ plug on the speaker cable from the amp into the LF+ terminal
  • Join the LF+ to HF+ using a 2.7 ohm high wattage resistor (7 or 10 watts wirewound will do for the test, you could use a higher value like 3.3 or 4.7 ohms for 8 ohm speakers)
  • Do this on both speakers sit down and listen for a while.
  • Then put things back the way they were and listen again.
The opposite wiring approach applies for getting more treble than bass, the red+ plug on the cable from the amp goes to the HF+ terminal and the resistor joins this to the LF+ so there is less bass.

Jon

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:43pm
You are using resistance to shelf one driver response above the other in a two-way? How does this affect the overlap of their responses at the crossover frequency? Raises XO point with more bass and lowers XO point with more treble?

Edited by Ash - 10 Jul 2020 at 6:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic