FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Loudspeaker EQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 2:51pm
In the end I kept the HF and MF switching apart. on midrange I went for 0dB (stock wiring), +1dB (10R in parallel), and +1.8dB (4R7 in parallel).
I have also been having a first stab at blending my big REL subwoofer in with the GX300's. Their Fb is about 32 Hertz so they go quite low to start with. Their reflex design has a faster roll-off, typically 24dB/octave so blending my main subwoofer will be interesting. When the reflex port is plugged on each box plugged they are closed boxes with a Qtc of about 0.7 and Fc=58 Hertz, handy because their rolloff is just under 12dB/octave which is the slope of the REL's low pas filter. So it should be easier to blend.

I soldered up a high level cable for the REL, spades for speaker terminals and Speakon to go into the Q400's socket. Then followed the usual set up procedure: start with sub crossover and level to high, switch phase from 0 to 180 to find which setting is loudest. In theory I would set the sub's LPF on the speaker's -6dB frequency (about 42 for closed box, 32 for reflex), but it's a relatively small listening room of 40 m3. My conclusion this time was I preferred the GX300's alone!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 4:30pm
If you have a mic to measure and can set time delays on the sub (example below: main speakers +2 subs), it does make a big difference Jon...

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 6:00pm
Yes I agree Andrew. I think I wrote on the forum about my past efforts measuring with REW to generate EQ solutions for an old Behringer digital unit I pressed into service to feed my subs when I had the GX100's at the front. I had to get the MIDI cables out! Shocked
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:37am
I revisited my work on the GX300 crossover in Spring 2017, finding the mid-boost feature was helpful on some congested mixes. I found the +1dB quite subtle and going straight to +2dB made them more like monitors but a bit full-on for relaxed listening! So I am thinking about resusing the switch but for one boost in between and trying a cut option. I may try +/- 1.5dB

The sub-bass I have addressed by trying positions nearer the back wall and prefer the sound to blending in a subwoofer in my room. Changing from spikes has helped too.

After a lot of experimenting I splashed out for a set of Gaia III isolation feet and am very glad I did. Significant improvement in the sound, clearer with more precise positioning of instruments, and better bottom end which I put down to the floorboards not joining in!

Edited by Fatmangolf - 09 Nov 2017 at 5:45am
Jon

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

After a lot of experimenting I splashed out for a set of Gaia III isolation feet and am very glad I did.

Do they just screw in in place of the spikes?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:01pm
Yes if you have M8 standard spike fittings or M6 or 1/4 inch, which are all in the box. The GX300 have an odd pitched M10 so I improvised.

Jon

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
They are horrendously expensive. £400 for a pair of speakers!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic