FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession for Moving Coil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:51pm
I don't see it.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:07pm

Try hitting refresh several times, or use a different browser.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:53pm
I see it now.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:10pm
If you think it looks good on the webpage, just wait till you hear it!

Edited by Fatmangolf - 05 Oct 2018 at 8:11pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 7:10am
Quick question - can the Enigma used to upgrade from PSU1 for Accession MM, Proprius mono amps?

And a quick update on the Accession MC/Enigma setup:
I am now truly hearing the Presentation MC cart in its entirety. There is an amazing reduction in vinyl noise of the crackle/clicks kind. Some of the vinyls I used to grit my teeth, especially at the lead track, now plays without giving any grief. The brows are un-furrowed and ears relaxed.

I was expecting reduction in external and surface noise given my experience with the Accession MM. However with the Accession MC+Enigma, it really works wonders with these low output MC carts.

It took me a while to realize that I was playing mono records with the same clarity as stereo pressing - not realizing a difference in the listening (of course the stereo separation is still there).

This is, in my opinion, my first true hearing experience of my Presentation cart as it is. All other equipment have almost faded into the background. No more tweaking and dialing combinations. Just drop the needle and hear how the MC cart extracts the sound.

I went back to my Accession MM archives to compare similar records. The difference is like comparing say a Macallan with a Glenrothes - both Speyside but with distinct flavors. The MC recordings are lavish, a bit tight on bass, extremely detailed on any string or percussion instruments. The soundstage is wider giving room for each instrument to play its part and be heard.

The MM recording (with the Clearaudio Charisma) is quieter (less surface noise), places you in a nice recording room where the instruments mingle around the vocals. They play more in coordination and it becomes a task to follow a single instrument without being overwhelmed by the entire setup.

It will take me a few months to archive my collection with the Presentation MC cartridge. Next is to archive the mono recordings with the punchy Miyajima Zero - really looking forward to the Accession MC+Enigma to reintroduce me to all my MC cartridges properly....this is how they are supposed to sound!

I may be finally ready to part with my Revelation MC, and the Elevator step up.

Cheers
Shashi
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:05pm

Jon kindly supplied the Enigma to try on my Elevator but kindly also sent the Accession MC also.

My front end comprises of Dynavector XX2-2 which I have used on the 840 ohm setting for the last few years on the Elevator and the highest 500 on the Accession MC.  The notional output of the Dynavector is 0.28mv.

Before undertaking a direct like for like comparison I wanted to compare to my existing ‘souped-up’ Accession MM + Elevator (mains cables and customer pure silver lead between AM M/EXP) to the Accession MC + Enigma/cable and stock mains lead.

First observation HUM!  Whilst involving bodged cable management this was not cured by mains and DC lead re-routing nor by disconnecting the earth and finally traced to my out of circuit but powered up PSU – moved away from signal leads and problem solved.

The results in my system showed:

MC

Lower output (quite a bit – both used on fixed gain)

A little more surface noise?

Presentation was ‘different’ particularly in the upper mid and vocal area.

This was less ‘forward’ and more relaxed though did appear to reveal a few new instrument lines which had been pulled though. 

Complex passages were perhaps made well, less complex and some second hand vinyl sounded ‘less second-hand’ with less edge displaying some additional delicacy.

*The soundstage and scale were however smaller and was less dynamic.

*Bass was less well defined, carried less punch, drive and power being a little slower and rhythmically lacked drive and interest compared with my current set up.  *There was also an additional unwanted mid bass ‘bloom’.

*Upper mid and vocal areas displayed a degree of splashiness though lacked some ‘sparkle’  (did wonder whether the loading change 840-500 was relevant)

Overall balance was little changed, lighter and less forward overall.

From past experience I know that these * are characteristics of the standard mains cables.

MM/EXP/+Cables

More spacious and open soundstage acoustic music sounded more live/alive.

Bass was carried more weight, power and was tighter, more detailed and dynamic.  It was also more detailed with superior rhythms, drive and flow.

Vocals were projected and but slightly more forward.

Presentation was ‘less flat’; that is more interesting, dynamics with improved flow.

My conclusion was that my existing combo is preferred vs the standard cabled AMC.

Direct comparison

In order to not disappoint me after my trial, I have downgraded to one of my mains cable a step so as not to feel short changed if the AMC is preferred on returning

Moving then on to compare the MC vs MM + EXP with the same upgraded cables my findings are as follows:

AMM/XP/cables

Different presentation.

More forward midband with heaver and less well defined bass/LF detail.

Vocals ‘less clean/cultured’ detailed but projected more.

Soundstage/depth/width greater.

Dynamics difficult to define, maybe bigger but low level dynamics diminished.

AMC + mains upgrade

More delicate, sweeter and open mid-band; more forgiving to imperfections (less masked)

Well controlled throughout the range with no frequency emphasis; more polite and less raw?

Additional detail appeared drawn out in the upper mid-lower treble ‘ new instrument lines’

Flow appeared superior within the music bass as tighter and more detailed.

More interesting/enjoyable.
Dynamics and scale slightly reduced in some ways though potentially allied to other attributes of being lighter and fleeter footed in the low frequencies.

The DC cable differences I believe are evident (previously Enigma cable preferred in low frequencies but mine in the mid and upper) vs my own custom DC cable; which I documented previously although  as Graham suggests this behaves differently with the AMC which I am not proposing to explore at this stage.

In conclusion, I don’t have the capacity to upgrade to the Accession MC at present so this was never a genuine try before you buy.  However in my system the evidence from my ears on a selection of material demonstrated that on a direct comparison the Accession MC is set against the Accession MM/Elevator (with my custom DC lead on the Accession MM only) did show a superior, more refined, tighter, detailed and better presented experience.

The Accession MC will combined with my power lead would a good upgrade over my current set up and better that what I have experienced so far.  One for another day (sadly).

Thank you John and in particular Graham and for another really good product but in the meantime will set the AMC to one side so I can try the Enigma on my Elevator….

Edited by Richardl60 - 17 Jan 2019 at 11:26pm
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 9:22am
After a short period of reflection I do wonder whether some of the differences between my current set up and the MC were due to the Figure of 8 config -the bit relating to the forwardness/soundstage preferences of my current set up.

Whilst I am not proposing to revisit this by ear if I do eventually get an AccMC I know that at worst I have trialled in the worst F8 config mode and a may get the best of both; albeit as tried was a clear improvement overall.

Will move on to try the Elevator with the Enigma now and as I could not find a clear F8 gain either way on the EXP will try again with the Enigma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic