FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Digital solution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital solution
    Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 1:57pm
ok so this is a previously unexplored part of the forum for me so apologies if this has been covered several times already.

In a nutshell, I ripped all my CD's to hard disk a couple of years ago and added some hi res downloads. CD's are now in storage. While my pc was in the same room as my hi fi it was simple enough to connect to my DAC via USB and play everything back using my tablet or phone to control JRiver Music Centre. Now my pc is in another room it is too far to connect via a USB lead.

So whats the best solution? I am networked, so some sort of networked mini pc with audio optimed windows 10 on it perhaps? or a NAS server?

I've been down to my local box shifter who is quite keen to sell me £1500 worth of all in one streaming solution but what I don't want is to duplicate what I already have. I already have a pretty capable DAC so i don't want another one, and JRMC is pretty good imo..and more flexible and easily upgradeable than the software that comes built in to the devices people are trying to sell me.

In keeping with my current philosophy I want to keep it really simple but as good quality as I can.

Ideas?

ta
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 2:05pm
Raspberry Pi + HiFiBerry Digi + e.g. RuneAudio
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 3:21pm
Can you elaborate Ifor? The Pi is a little computer thingy and the digi+ adds the audio interface right? Rune Audio is the control software. Does it matter which Pi you get? I went on Hifiberry site & it seems you can get a Pi, digi+, power supply & case for under a ton.. is that all I'd need? what's the SD card option for... what's SQ like?

lol.. sorry, i've never even thought about going this route before so I'm a complete noob atm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 3:52pm
Hi Dave,
I'd second Ifors recommendation. Pricewise there isn't much to choose between the various Pi versions. I would be inclined to go for the Pi3 and Pi power supply from CPC Farnell or similar supplier and the HiFiBerry Digi+ and matching steel case from HiFiBerry, then all you need is an 8GB SD card to load the RuneAudio image to. With the RPi 3 you also have wifi capability. The Digi+ has SPDIF and Toslink outputs which I assume your DAC can handle. If your DAC doesn't have a transformer isolated input then get the Digi+ with output transformer, if you're not sure go for that option anyway.
There is no digital signal processing in the Digi+ with RuneAudio software, so you get a "clean" digital output, nothing added or taken away.
I've used a RPi B+ and Digi+ to feed my Majestic DAC for a couple of years now and find it excellent sound quality and particularly easy to use.
I've also over the last few days put together a RPi £ and Digi+ with the Raspberry Pi touchscreen, makes a nice self contained digital audio control centre.
Any further questions, I'm happy to help.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 4:40pm
ok this sounds like just the sort of thing I'm looking for. My DAC will take spdf, toslink or usb input. So I guess a Lautus will do the trick to connect it up. Basically my files stay where they are on the pc in the other room, this is then connected via ethernet cable to the pi jobby, which in turn is connected to my DAC? Sounds easy...and cheap. I like that Smile
Dave

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 5:24pm
Dave,
I would use SPDIF into the DAC from the Digi+. If your hard drive with ripped CDs is stand alone with USB connection it could be connected directly to the RPi rather than via network and your computer. Another possibiity would be to install your Hard drive in a NAS like the QNap or Synology, then you would have the advantage of a networked drive accessible over ethernet or wifi.
The RPi can take up to 4 USB devices, so you could even just use 64 or 128GB stick drives loaded from your existing files. I use a combination of NAS, USB stick and a Samsung 1TB portable disc drive.
There are many possibilities
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 5:48pm
Currently all my files are on a SSD on my main windows pc. I do have them backed up onto a USB hard drive, so I guess I could just plug that into the pi? I like the SSD's though, silent & fast... could have been all in my head but I thought the sound was better too, compared to my old hard drive.

Maybe I'll stick the SSD's in a NAS drive. I'd like to retain the JRMC software too, it does a great job of organising files & finding cover art etc, plus it has a host of DSP options if needed. I tended to use it stripped of unnecessary stuff & optimised for audio - with most of the streaming/video/TV features switched off.

I guess experimentation will be the order of the day. Anyway - I've pressed the button and have the pi 3/digi+, case, SD card & PS on order, all for the price of a few albums.

Thanks for the advice chaps Smile
Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic