FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Digital solution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital solution
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:35pm
Good news!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm
I bought a mains block that also has 5v 2.1A USB port. This killed 2 birds with one stone as I need extra sockets anyway. Everything seems to be running fine now. Ethernet connection is stable and it's good to be able to listen to the 400-500 cd's I have ripped after so long without. SQ is comparable with what I remember getting from my original setup. It's good but doesn't quite give me the goosebumps I get from my vinyl setup, but this is a £700 DAC & £100 worth of Pi bits vs what I have in my sig. I have played with the filters on my DAC a little, with some improvement and I intend to swap some cables around later to use Cusat rather than the Mogami XLR's I'm using while I get it all running. Pretty happy now. Main thing I miss is the option to browse by cover art and a proper random play capability.

Next up will have to be a pre-amp, I can see swapping cables when I change sources getting old really quick. I'll wait to see how the GSP pre develops, or perhaps I'll think about a Majestic
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:01am
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

Slowly getting somewhere. I am using a phone charger as a stop gap.. it works!! so at least the pi & digi didn't get taken out. I reinstalled the runeadio image and edited the config txt so now the digi+ works too. I also shared my music folder on my pc and sorted some issues with permissions and finally i can access my music Clap. Naturally, this being me, there is still a problem - the audio drops out roughly every 10 seconds i dunno if this has something to do with buffer sizes or whatever in Runeaudio. Can't say I'm exactly enamoured of the RuneAudio player, my JRMC is about 1000 times better (imo ofc) but to get that up & running will probably be another whole world of pain.

EDIT: Increasing buffers sizes makes no difference. Runeaudio player keeps crashing too. sometimes the music is still playing but i just get the timer circle going round & round other times i just get nothing but a little android dude. only solution is to reboot my phone or tablet.

Are you using wireless or wired networking?

Give Moode a try seems to be simpler to get up and running with just the web interface which has the same look and feel as volume and runeaudio. Downsides are an update system in its infancy and no planned support for streaming services outside of internet radio, however it does support the BBC hires streams without the minim server hack. Rune seems to have a lot optimisation work but I went for ease Smile especially own a less than premium dac.

All being linux based may seem to make things seem more difficult than windows.

I tend to use the UPNP Openhome support as this gives independent multiple control point support and the Radiio support. 

IMO The big three mentioned above seem to be web based by I prefer to use UPNP using Bubble control point.

PSU, you should be looking for 2.1 amps to be sure.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:22am
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

There is also a Global random setting, a bit like shuffle, at the bottom os the MPD page.

I can't find this.

Edited by ICL1P - 23 Jul 2016 at 8:23am
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:49pm
Glad to hear you've made progress.
The Slee Magic in the Lautus cable must have made the difference. LOL
A slight improvement in the sound comes from disabling the volume control in the MPD menu.
Once Rune has scanned your library, search by Artist or Album is the quickest way to get to tracks. There is also a Global random setting, a bit like shuffle, at the bottom os the MPD page.
You might like to try Radio Paradise for a high quality music stream without adverts, enter this url in the "add radio" pop up in the My Webradios tab in the Library:
http://stream-uk1.radioparadise.com/aac-320
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:11pm
victory!!!!! Thumbs Up

can using a Lautus as digital connection really stop drop outs? only thing I changed Confused
sound ain't bad.. a bit weird listening to digital files after so long.. sounds a bit murky compared to my TT setup but it's definitely music.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 7:44pm
Slowly getting somewhere. I am using a phone charger as a stop gap.. it works!! so at least the pi & digi didn't get taken out. I reinstalled the runeadio image and edited the config txt so now the digi+ works too. I also shared my music folder on my pc and sorted some issues with permissions and finally i can access my music Clap. Naturally, this being me, there is still a problem - the audio drops out roughly every 10 seconds i dunno if this has something to do with buffer sizes or whatever in Runeaudio. Can't say I'm exactly enamoured of the RuneAudio player, my JRMC is about 1000 times better (imo ofc) but to get that up & running will probably be another whole world of pain.

EDIT: Increasing buffers sizes makes no difference. Runeaudio player keeps crashing too. sometimes the music is still playing but i just get the timer circle going round & round other times i just get nothing but a little android dude. only solution is to reboot my phone or tablet.

Edited by DaveG - 22 Jul 2016 at 9:05pm
Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic