FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cleanliness next to godliness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 4:28pm
Interesting to read of your mains improvements Richard - keep us posted.
Mains cabling etc seems to be one of the most controversial topics in HiFi, but a clean, low impedance
mains supply just seems very sensible!
Do you use any mains filtering at all?
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 7:03pm
Tried two different filtering devices from a well known Cumbrian distributor but sent them both back as I couldn't tell any difference.

I cannot really understand why it is controversial though aware there is an antibrigade seemingly in many cases without trying for themselves.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:38am
Substituting a kettle lead for the Cumbrian company's '8TCM' mains lead to power the DAC
I was using in mid 90s made a noticeable improvement. Whether this improvement was down
to the RFI reducing properties of the braided construction or simply due to better quality
connectors I don't know - likely a combination of both.
One of their small plug-in filtering boxes made no difference.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 4:07am
Every spring and fall I break down my whole system and clean all contacts with Deoxit. Amazing how much crud can accumulate in 6 months time. I have 2 dedicated 20 amp lines in my listening room. This was a nice improvement. One of the best things I did was running my amps through a large Topaz Isolation transformer. This made more difference than I ever thought it would. The whole system just got quieter. Thinking of trying another one on my preamp and sources. The only thing is my listening position is close and the large transformers have a bit of hum when sitting close.
Sturgus
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:51pm
Mains socket now in place for a week and would consider should be somewhere near burned in by now with 190 hours.

End result? More of he same, mid-upper great, appears a little greater clarity/smoother and continues to be very open and as also commented by a close relation the presentation does appear different, for the better not necessarily frequency balance but image and generally more natural (vinyl like) presentation and fine layered detail.

The bass has lightened and tightened quite a bit without losing the low bass.

The latter is a change from last week but it is possible Variable may have some impact.

We had a replacement upvc bay window which sits behind the speakers and also had to disconnect the speaker cables and move speakers. I did not clean the plugs or terminals as out of deoxit gold but the stands are in exactly the same spike holes in the carpet so no positioning differences.

Whether the new windows and removing & reconnecting the cables has made a difference to the bass I cannot say.

The end result is most certainly worth the effort
& cost for which the improvement is totally of line with the cost.

Will try the DC lead next week!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 12:44am
I have now finally tried my new custom made DC lead to my Accession.

The lead is pure silver and unshielded with an Oyaide gold DC plug to the Acesssion.

Lead looks nice and is just the right length for my application -around 50cm and the Oyaide is a nice tight fit in the back of the accession, good start.

First impressions? Given it has been 3months+ since listening to any vinyl and I had upgraded wall socket and connector blocks as set out in previous posts it did sound good. Since it was late I thought I would switch to the standard lead.

The standard DC lead did bring an edge to the sound, some noticeable sibilance which wasn't there before. In general less refined and a bit constricted even bit shouty around the vocal area, but certainly a little less smooth and natural.

Bass now displaced a trace of 'bloom' which detracted from the overall presentation. Overall it appeared a smaller version of the differences encountered with the mains lead in to the PSU. I am sure both plug and cable have contributed.

Finally reverted back to the new DC lead. Now smoother and more refined with more body.

The differences are not mind blowing but from my experiences in my system worthwhile and provide a less fatiguing listen, flows a little better too.

I would have considered my Elevator but for two things, firstly it is the older hard wired version so not so easy and in the event graham delivers the Accession MC I may only need one PSU and DC lead!

Whilst not advocating anyone invests vast sums of money in new exotic leads, both mains and DC leads with high quality plugs have brought additional refinement and naturalness to an already great product.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 6:53am
Interesting findings Richard...as your DC cable upgrade is not a commercially available one, maybe John C could look at offering a DC cable upgrade as an option for use with anything driven from a PSU/1

Edited by Suggs - 10 Dec 2016 at 6:53am
Derek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic