FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cleanliness next to godliness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 2:09am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 2:16am
Just for the record it's gone 2am, and I'm still listening to music.
I started at 10am yesterday, with just a couple of hours break Smile
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:41am
OK Chris, now try developing an analytical test with test gear to prove what's happening.

My function generator only goes to 20MHz and my scope 60MHz. I have not been able to measure any difference with any ferrite with this equipment.

I have a 9kHz - 1.5GHz spectrum analyser I simply don't understand so that's no help, but if I did, I then might be able to measure something.

But even if you did find something way up in the "extraterrestrial band", you will be immediately  Trolled for suggesting that you can hear a difference with or without it.

And sometimes they identify themselves to the prosecuting authorities as "a university lecturer".

My arse!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

OK Chris, now try developing an analytical test with test gear to prove what's happening.

My function generator only goes to 20MHz and my scope 60MHz. I have not been able to measure any difference with any ferrite with this equipment.

I have a 9kHz - 1.5GHz spectrum analyser I simply don't understand so that's no help, but if I did, I then might be able to measure something.

But even if you did find something way up in the "extraterrestrial band", you will be immediately  Trolled for suggesting that you can hear a difference with or without it.

And sometimes they identify themselves to the prosecuting authorities as "a university lecturer".

My arse!

Graham

Unfortunately being trolled by internet "experts" is a life hazard today.
In this case you need a radio ham in whose direction you point the trolls. They soon bugger off once they realise that they're dealing with someone that's forgotten more about EMI than they (the trolls) will ever learn.

And funnily enough, I was talking with a friend last night while I was preparing food, told him about the ferrites, and his response was that his Dad's a radio ham, and he's almost continually banging on about the negative effects the cheap SMPS have on his hamming activities - apparently he's been going on about it for the last 30 years.

Back onto my ferrite activities.
I have not applied a single ferrite on any audio equipment power lead or interconnect.

The clamps have all been fitted to mains gang leads, with one exception - the Raspberry Pi that hosts my FBA server had one applied to the cable feeds it 5vdc, because it's fed from a cheap SMPS.

My observations about improved sound quality are purely subjective, but I haven't touched any audio equipment in the process.
I'm really pleased with what I hear.
The rest of the world can think what they want - I refuse to get into any arguments about the situation.

On the test gear thing - I'll have a chat with another friend who designs and makes test gear - he'll point us in the right direction.

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:08pm
Would have thought your ears should suffice Chris?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:20pm
You're absolutely correct, Richard.
My ears give me enough information to draw my own conclusion.

The engineer in me is curious about how to measure the EMI and RFI, so I'll find about it sooner or later.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Hi Chris,
   Any chance of a link to the product you purchased?
Mick.
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDK-CLIP-ON-FERRITE-BEADS-SPLIT-CORE-EMI-RFI-3-5MM-4-7MM-8-10MM-10-13MM-USB/122248857939

I bought 9mm ones Smile

And see how many have they sold... >4600 !

Here is another source... Mouser ... TDK again ...

There is a reason why these ferrites are used on all medical electronics
 and "high end" commercial computer systems...
 in addition to in-line AC power filters/noise suppressors.

Edited by BAK - 25 Feb 2018 at 2:19pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic