FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cleanliness next to godliness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 6:19pm
No Martin I haven't. I use deoxit cleaner and then deoxit shield external and depending on the contact components deoxit gold.

I have sometimes wondered about some sort of sealant for external components but relied on wire wool and deoxit to clean.

Suspect that that any copper grease type substance will have very low % conductivity/purity have followed the thought process that solid and clean contacts would provide best option.
Martin1 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 5:59pm
Did you use copperslip grease on reassembly ,by any chance ?
Novo Solo SRGII PSU1 Cusat 50 Senn:250 Senn: 540II & Big Wish List

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 4:41pm
By way of follow up to my earthing rod clean I have got around to installing (1/2) of an upgrade mains cable between outside terminating block and my wall socket.

The old cable was I think 6mm twin & earth from some diy chain from memory. I have used my cable of choice (rated at 26A) but due to the need to drill a larger hole in my brickwork, the lack of a suitable drill and fading light installed only one length of cable rather than the two I had intended. Will follow this with the second length next week when my new drill bit arrives.

All connectors at the terminating block outside and on my wall socket were thoroughly cleaned before install and whilst perhaps not quite the improvement of the rod clean, there have been other improvements including a far more focused sound particularly in the vocal areas on some older 60/70s CD recordings (incl Nancy Sinatra, jack Blanchard & mysty Morgan, Jimmy spheris, syreeta and Sam Cooke). Generally cleaner and more dynamic sounding but became notably more widely detached from the speakers.

Some of these improvement may have down to cleaning contacts but the remainder down to the 60cm cable through my cavity. Will see what the second run achieves (if anything) later this week.

Curiously the improvement seen with CD was perhaps not fully carried over to vinyl - whether just the two sides I played after the CD I cannot say.

Will use ears to assess the second run later in the week.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:38pm
Good tips, many thanks.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 9:33am
It is also a good idea to water the ground where the earthing rod is during dry spells.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:19pm
Running my system from a dedicated consumer unit and mains fed by 10mm twin and earth and an earthing rod to my upgraded wall socket I have tried to give my gear the best possible start in life.

I decided to clean my earthing rid connections including unscrewing the clamp from the rod, all bolts, washers etc as it is between one and two years since I last cleaned it.

Big improvement in all areas. Bass a lot cleaner and better defined and generally cleaner and more natural. Whilst not wishing to oversell the improvement I would liken it to a lesser degree the type of improvement seen by upgrading to the accession.

I am aware there are a few members who do have earthing rods - if not cleaned recently you may wish to get your spanners, screwdrivers and cleaners out!

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic