FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGII, a little box of wonders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo SRGII, a little box of wonders
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:08pm
By 'just' adding a Solo SRGII between, on the one side, a PC plus little DAC of average quality (soon to be replaced by a Majestic DAC), and on the other my Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 Ohm), the sound already became more beautiful (gone harshness!) and musical. I don't understand the technics, but to me it is a bit of magic. Thank you Mr Slee! :-)
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm
If you think a Solo from a mediocre DAC sounds great, you're in for a very pleasant discovery when you connect it to a Majestic. My GSP signal path into my choice of headphone/speaker is simply an effortlessly incredible experience.
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

If you think a Solo from a mediocre DAC sounds great, you're in for a very pleasant discovery when you connect it to a Majestic. My GSP signal path into my choice of headphone/speaker is simply an effortlessly incredible experience.

Yes, that is what is dawning on me now too ;-)
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Mungbean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mungbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:49am
I was recently very lucky to grab a SRGll for a great price and it's been an epiphany.
Now paired with my new ModiMultibit, it's even better. After having both on for a decent amount of time, they both settled in for what is the best audio experience I've listened to thus far.
I let my father listen to some Sammy Davis Junior and tears came to his eyes. That verified that the SRGll was truly magic. His only words "That was beautiful....so smooth Al".

Only problem is now I can hear the weaknesses of my headphones and I want to upgrade to the Ultra Linear.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 12:23pm
Welcome to the forum Allen! From Oz if I'm correct Wink

It's great you and your father are enjoying the Solo. Do you have a PSU1 power supply with your SRGII? If not this is a good way to start on your upgrade path, then you can get a Ultra Linear board to swap into your case. This is exactly the way I did things. Improvements in depth, dynamics and detail at both stages . . Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Mungbean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mungbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:23am
Most definitely from Oz

Most likely the next step will be a PSU1 then the Ultra Linear.
Will the make a case for my SRGll and hand this down to my dad.

Have you heard the HD650 with a similar set up by chance? That could also on the books as I think it will be a lovely pairing with the equipment I have.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:35am
It's funny you should ask - I use HD650s along with Audeze LCD-2s with my Solo.

When it was an SRGII I only had my 650s and for me it was a perfect pairing. There are those who prefer the more "lively" sound of the 600s to the "pipe'n'slippers" sound of the 650s but but for smoothness allied with depth and detail (not to mention comfort and total lack of fatigue over long periods), the SRGII/650 pairing takes some beating (IMO, or course . . . Wink).

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic