FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Any Moving Iron cartridge fans out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 10:11am
I think it's a matter of taste with moving iron cartridges.

I believe it's old technology (correct me if I'm wrong) where a pushrod moves an iron pole piece in a coil - a bit like a solenoid.

A bit like an old side valve engine, but who'd drive one today? (I had one by the way)

OHV's are more responsive and OHC's can be "chipped" to do wonders.

It depends on how you like your sound. Some like it warm and a moving iron will do that, and there are plenty of happy owners of them.

They're not to my taste though, and that's possibly because I listen to music which requires something more articulate.

I also find that MI's don't capture the really quiet ambient detail - the scene setting acoustic. This can make some performers disappear from the mix.

The old Decca MI's couldn't keep up with fast tempo making the bass sound as if it was lagging the music.

But not everyone is into rock and high energy music.

The exception to this was the Music Maker II by Len Gregory.

Unfortunately they mostly pick up transformer magnetic fields resulting in hum.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:07am
I know Nagaoka and the Goldring 2000 series do use the MI technology.

I have a Nagaoka MP110 myself and have it for 5 years now (new stylus beginning 2016)
IMO sounds surprisingly good on my TecnoDec with MI250 arm/TecnoWeight Smile

Edited by Cyreg - 24 Oct 2016 at 10:11am
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
Images View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Images Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:19pm
I had/have a Grado that I like very much. However with my current Rega turntable it has a problem with hum particularly with the inner tracks of an lp. 

On a different turntable it would sound fantastic. The sound is smooth and fantastic with vocals.

Currently I am using an Ortolan 2M black.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:52pm
Carl, I have a MI Music Maker cartridge that picked up hum and tried the following. I grounded my Rega P3-24 bearing with a jubilee clip around the brass bearing housing with a wire back to the preamp ground. I opened up the motor housing and carefully clipped a wire onto the motor housing, again run back to the preamp ground.
If you try this please be careful and get technical help if in doubt, no liability on my part.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 10:17pm
Another Thumbs Up from me for MI's

After several Grado's  (no hum problems on my Thorens), I've recently fitted my latest purchase, a Cartridgeman MusicMaker III.

Bearing in mind I don't have experience of MC's or high end MM's, I just can't imagine my MusicMaker sounding any better, to be honest. **

rgds
RC

** and that's just with a quick'n'dirty setting up - it will be even better on the Rega and when fully run in. Tongue

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 8:37am
One of my favourites was the Music Maker II on a Hadcock 9 inch uni-pivot tonearm on my old Rega Planar 3.

The only thing letting that down was the eccentric pulley on the 3. I've been given a new motor but with a bearing mod which is supposed to glue on but doesn't fit in the first place, and I cannot achieve a smooth running platter whatever I try. But one day I hope to get the old thing working again.

All I will then need is a Music Maker II. Mr Gregory upgraded it to a III but I liked the II best (sorry).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 4:01pm
Rule 3: After Death & Taxes... Things you love will be "upgraded"  Wink

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic