FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Proprius... According to Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

There's probably an extended metaphor in this... like a fine wine, the Proprius entices with its full rounded character and fills the room with a rich mix that your senses experience. It brings to life the endeavours of others who laboured far away to bring their craft to your room. Hmmm, I doubt this will appear as a quote Graham, unless it's in Pseud's Corner!

I don't think it pretentious at all Big smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by msphil msphil wrote:

Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I read "I was around at Phil's" and noticed the picture - I thought: nice, Phil lives in a pub . . .  Wink

I'd love to hear Fact8s driven by Proprius amps. My little PMCs sound great with them so I can only imagine what the extra extension and detail of the 8s sound like.

Like so much on this forum, the education, and de-bunking of myths never fails to amaze me - the need for "mega" watt amps being a case in point. The Proprii are my lowest power amps ever, and undoubtedly the best sounding . . Thumbs Up

When I first contemplated getting the Proprius amps I must admit I had my moments of doubt that they would be powerful enough. However, I needn't have worried! My doubts were laughable! On my old Mission floor standing speakers and on the PMC fact 8s in a large room I could literally wake up the street and lift a few roof tiles as well. Not only that but they sound fantastic!

I recently enjoyed an afternoon of Phil and Lesley's hospitality in Chesterfield, sharing nostalgia and enjoying some very good music through Phil's glorious hi-fi. I can confirm the large room is filled by the Fact 8's with the Majestic at 9 o'clock (as if anyone doubted this) and all the music I heard was wonderfully reproduced by two slim tower speakers and a small pile of net silver boxes. Probably the best hi-fi I've heard and it brought the music to life. Well done to PMC and GSP/HFSC and thanks again to Phil for our time together with the music.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:39pm
Nice! There can't be many better ways to spend an evening than listening to good music, reproduced well, and in good company.

My proprius continue to delight me. I've written more here about these than the Accession for instance. I think this because I knew already that Graham could design world class phono stages, so it was no surprise that it turned out to be a stunner. With the Proprius, it wasn't so much that I doubted they'd be good, in fact I expected good, I wasn't quite prepared for just how good and how, now that they are fully burnt in, they show a clean pair of heels to my £2.5k, 250w amp in pretty much every way that matters - especially that most crucial of factors - ENJOYMENT!

It's all good news guys - size doesn't matter! It really is what u do with it that counts
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:37pm

[/QUOTE]

I recently enjoyed an afternoon of Phil and Lesley's hospitality in Chesterfield, sharing nostalgia and enjoying some very good music through Phil's glorious hi-fi. I can confirm the large room is filled by the Fact 8's with the Majestic at 9 o'clock (as if anyone doubted this) and all the music I heard was wonderfully reproduced by two slim tower speakers and a small pile of net silver boxes. Probably the best hi-fi I've heard and it brought the music to life. Well done to PMC and GSP/HFSC and thanks again to Phil for our time together with the music.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jon! It was a real pleasure! There's nothing better than sharing good music with like-minded people!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 7:03pm
It's a pity we don't have an edit button that we can use after the message has been posted. I did mean to say that although a lot of people praise my PMC Fact 8 speakers (which are great!) In my opinion a hi-fi setup is only as good as its weakest link. Good speakers can only reproduce what is fed into to them. In my case this is (apart from the Squeezebox Touch and the speakers) a complete Graham Slee system. This includes a Majestic, a pair of Proprius amps which are all connected with GSP interconnects and cables. If there is any doubt in your mind those little 25 W beauties can blow the roof off whilst at the same time delivering real quality sound! I don't know how Graham does it but I think he produces some of the best hi-fi you can get! 
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
I tend to agree with Phil on this. There is the argument that by over engineering at the front end of the system including cables, clean mains, amps etc the outcome through more modest speakers can produce a result far better than may be reasonably expected. This view dates back to many hifi shows and demos back in the late 70s and early 80s.

There have been a few exceptions to this rule but not many from my experience.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:44pm
It's good to have a systematic approach but I suspect there's as much art as science in fine tuning the setup to get the sound you want.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic