FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Proprius... According to Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 12:15am
Hi,
I'm going to second (third? fourth?) the Majestic loan idea. I've abandoned a disc spinner for a MacBook Air running JRiver Media Centre 21, m2Tech HiFace Two USB/coax converter, Lautus digital into a Majestic. My RP8/Reflex M is plugged into the analogue in. Digital and analogue sources living happily together! The switch from one to the other no longer produces vastly different presentations and it's now much more balanced between CD rip, hi-res download and LP. Although, the LP still wins. ;)
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:12pm
Looks like a good buy for a pair of new Proprius went for £670 1/2 price from eBay!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:57am
I was round at Phil's (msphil) with Les (less) a couple of weeks back, listening to PMC Fact 8's driven by a pair of Proprius via Spatia's and links, the source being a Squeezebox via Majestic and Lautus interconnect.

Phil's room is big for reasons known to Phil and his friends, and Fact 8's are floor standers of reasonable average sensitivity. Phil has wrote numerous times about his system being more than loud enough without ever sounding stressed, but the Fact 8's are a new addition, and to the average hi-fi nut might suggest they need lots of power - you know: big speakers will need big watts?

That is a complete falacy dreamed up to satisfy egos. As Phil told me, in the 60's bands would use Vox AC30's (30 watt amps) and easily fill a concert room - you know: bands like the Beatles!

So here we were using two 25 watt monoblocks, far from reaching their clip level and being loud enough that you couldn't talk over the sound without being in each other's faces.

The Fact 8's performed perfectly without any of the midrange harshness I've read of in at least one review - harshness comes from the electronics driving them, and there was none of that here.

I don't normally hear how low the Proprius can drive a speaker because I use LS35A's, but through the Fact 8's the lows (where the music contained it) were definitely sub-50Hz, and close to the 25Hz low frequency extreme of the Fact 8 specification. Not the boom uneducated people seem to get off with these days, but nicely layered like real bass musical instruments play.

As I commented to Phil, I used to get paid to do discos to a packed concert room with nothing more than the equivalent of 4 x Proprius.

Here's a venue:

Into 4 Ohms the Proprius do 45 watts each, so that would be 180 watts. My amps at the time were rated at 200 watts total into 4 Ohms. Enough muscle to have all the people on the dance floor for most of the night if you played them the right songs - which I always did.

So anybody thinking they need more than 25 WPC (into 8 Ohms) or 45 WPC (into 4 Ohms) should obviously not buy the Proprius or immediately sell the ones they've bought. The extra muscle can then be used to annoy their neighbours, hurt their ears and inflate their egos.

EDIT: I must mention that at the above venue in 1977 - Silver Jubilee year - there were my two 2x12 speaker cabinets at either end of the frontage where the car is in the above picture, and I did an outside disco party - and with just the equivalent power of 4 x Proprius, it could be heard from at least a mile away!

Edited by Graham Slee - 09 Jun 2016 at 8:05am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:19am
My Maj/Pro combo has more than enough power to drive two (one is inefficient enough) AKG K1000 simultaneously (and effortlessly) or drive my speaker drivers to much higher volumes than I'd dare to push them (I would damage them). The sound is very full, vitalised and room filling; if I wanted to, with just my two Proprius and connected to big speaker cones in big boxes in my garden moving lots of air, I would be able to generate music loud enough to be heard at least several hundred metres down the road. You don't need a lot of power to go loud and the Proprius uses the power efficiently anyway as it isn't wasting lots of it in heat generation.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:33am
I read "I was around at Phil's" and noticed the picture - I thought: nice, Phil lives in a pub . . .  Wink

I'd love to hear Fact8s driven by Proprius amps. My little PMCs sound great with them so I can only imagine what the extra extension and detail of the 8s sound like.

Like so much on this forum, the education, and de-bunking of myths never fails to amaze me - the need for "mega" watt amps being a case in point. The Proprii are my lowest power amps ever, and undoubtedly the best sounding . . Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I read "I was around at Phil's" and noticed the picture - I thought: nice, Phil lives in a pub . . .  Wink

Hehe! I thought exactly the same thing.

So, here they are in situ... the red glow is not them overheating, due to struggling to drive my speakers. The eagle eyed might notice something different.

Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:11pm
From the central location of the Accession interconnects, it looks like you were using the variable output when this picture was taken. (.....maybe the red glow tells us something about your central location in London? Shocked)
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic