FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Dave Swarbrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Swarbrick
    Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:39pm
Sad to report that unlike in 1999 the obituary in tomorrow's Daily Telegraph this time will be factually correct.

Saw him perform many times, first of all in the early years of Fairport and latterly as part of Lazarus. In fact a performance in 2006 in a cold medieval theatre just after his return to performance following his transplant nearly proved the death of him!

A highly skilled fiddle player, he was always entertaining and had a huge knowledge of English folk music history. He will be sadly missed.   
IntempestaNocte View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 10:58pm
"Farewell, farewell to you, who would hear
You lonely travelers all
The cold north wind will blow again
The winding road does call"

Truly sad news.  I had always hoped to see him play live, now I'll never have the chance.  Goodbye Swarb, you will be missed.  Cry
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:22pm
So sad to hear of 'Swarb's' death. I don't usually get too bothered by the death of performers, musicians etc but Dave Swarbrick and his music seems to have been a part of my life for so long, even when I didn't realise. From those formative teenage years in the late-60s when I was introduced to folk music by my sister's then- boyfriend, through to more recent times, I could always rely on his mesmeric fiddle playing to stir the soul.

He was a fabulous live performer too and I feel privilaged to have seen him a number of times. Now I shall go and play a couple of his records and contemplate that time is moving on for all of us.

'Lift the Lid and Listen' ....

Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:39pm
For me this is one of the saddest losses this year - Dave & the band were my neighbours in the village of Little Hadham for 18 months in my younger teens & I often used to see & hear them rehearsing & composing music when I was out in the garden. Our pet African Grey parrot took quite a dislike to Daves' violin playing & because of that we moved his cage as far to the back of the house as possible (parrot, not DS!)

They lived in our former local - 'The Angel' (until a lorry crashed into Daves' room one night & woke us up. The driver was killed but nobody in Fairport were injured). This pub was where my mother used to send me as a 7-8 year old boy to buy her fags & bottles of Mackeson for my dad. Life was so different In the 60s' wasn't it? They rehearsed in the pubs' old skittle alley.

I probably owe my love of music to this band - the albums Angel Delight & Full House were written there, I went to my first live gig (free for the Police Benevolent Fund) in the farmers field opposite another village pub and my Dad still has a broken guitar neck that I scavenged from the wrecked music room. That gig & the first Cropredy that I attended in '76 led on to Knebworth and a passion for live music has never left me.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

For me this is one of the saddest losses this year - Dave & the band were my neighbours in the village of Little Hadham for 18 months in my younger teens & I often used to see & hear them rehearsing & composing music when I was out in the garden. Our pet African Grey parrot took quite a dislike to Daves' violin playing & because of that we moved his cage as far to the back of the house as possible (parrot, not DS!)

They lived in our former local - 'The Angel' (until a lorry crashed into Daves' room one night & woke us up. The driver was killed but nobody in Fairport were injured). This pub was where my mother used to send me as a 7-8 year old boy to buy her fags & bottles of Mackeson for my dad. Life was so different In the 60s' wasn't it? They rehearsed in the pubs' old skittle alley.

I probably owe my love of music to this band - the albums Angel Delight & Full House were written there, I went to my first live gig (free for the Police Benevolent Fund) in the farmers field opposite another village pub and my Dad still has a broken guitar neck that I scavenged from the wrecked music room. That gig & the first Cropredy that I attended in '76 led on to Knebworth and a passion for live music has never left me.

A fascinating reminiscence, Andrew. Cherished memories, I'm sure ... Beer

Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Life was so different In the 60s' wasn't it? They rehearsed in the pubs' old skittle alley.

The music emanating from that skittle alley would certainly have been significantly better than the sounds I used to hear drifting out of The Fitzharry's Arms when I used to pop into their off-licence as a lad.

Always thought Swarb had a great sense of humour with a mischievous twist, was a great raconteur too especially at his solo gigs. The early obit in The Telegraph he would describe as 'greatly exaggerated,' he used to sell signed photocopies of it at his gigs until the newspaper put a stop to it due to copyright infringement.   
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by McHolmeM McHolmeM wrote:

The Fitzharry's Arms  

Completely off topic, but...
I never crossed the threshold of the Fitzharry's, but there was no live music in Mr Warrick's Arms.

Edited by ICL1P - 10 Jun 2016 at 2:58pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic