FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:16pm
No... see link (took me ages to edit it to get it to link)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:26pm
I don't understand what's going on in the schematic at a physics level but I do understand that electromagnetic induction in the transformer won't work with DC; it requires the acceleration of charge so needs the DC to be pulsed? Then it's a case of energy per unit charge is proportional to number of windings. Capacitors for smoothing current??

(well the charge will oscillate, not pulse, if the direction of flow is alternated)

(diodes for rectification or for back EMF?)

Edited by Ash - 13 Feb 2017 at 10:40pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 6:28am
Actually a vibrator with a transformer and bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitors, the whole unregulated DC supply with the vibrator as the "ac" source, as it was in the days of valve car radio. I had the dubious pleasure of restoring an early Motorola set in my mid-twenties for a thrifty school teacher.

But can I detect a hint of seriousness here? You actually want to use Proprius amps in a car?

I would therefore think that an ac (mains) inverter would be a much better, and off the shelf idea. I'm sure here we will debate the pros and cons of inverter types, but as it would feed switching power supplies, perhaps the "rough" type would sound OK??

It will need to provide at least 1 amp.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:37pm
An inverter will take less space and probably raise less eyebrows if seen in Ash's boot.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:05am
Hi All,
   Time to reignite this thread and ask if the Proprius is still doing good things to the ESL57's. I finally feel as though my electronics are firing on all cylinders and it's time to think about speakers. My current pair I've owned since 2000 and they've been brilliant! Alas, I think I'm beginning to want something a bit different. Clarity, resolution and imaging.
So...electrostatic time?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

So...electrostatic time?
Mick.

Only if you want to have a nice, cuddly, rolled off top end.
That rolled off top end is a function of ESLs - the higher the frequency gets the more current is required to get it there, because the load impedance gets lower and lower.
The higher the sound, the more grunt you need to drive it.

It's possible to add a supertweeter to add the stuff where the roll off occurs, so you'd get the best of what the ESLs do well, with the air and detail that they don't do so well, which oddly enough has an enormous impact on the lower mids going down towards the bass end of things.

suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:26pm
Hi Mick,

Yes I've now had the Proprius for more than 3 weeks and they seem to be in "burn in" still, although performance is much more even now than in their first week or two. They also change temperature continuously going from room temperature to slightly "feverish", around 40C I suppose, even when not in use. This could perhaps be an indicator of things still happening inside?

Anyway they still work very well together with the ESL-57s and have ample power to drive them, the treble elements too, and you get plenty of detail but indeed it's more of a "cuddly" warm valve like sound, rather than razor sharp high fidelity.
Chris is absolutely right about the treble roll-off. The treble is not nearly as extended as it is on pretty much any other high end speakers. Personally I think the amazing dynamic midrange makes up for the treble roll off, and also these are great speakers for flat living as they perform very well even at low volume. Only problem is they take up a whole lot of space..
But supertweeters would probably be a very nice addition and definitely something I'll look into in the future.

Edited by suede - 04 Mar 2017 at 5:28pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic