FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 11:06pm
Do you leave the ESL-57s powered on all the time as well? I am under the impression that electrostatic panels need to be fully energised/saturated with charge before they sound their best.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:36am
I think you hit the nail on the head with your "happiness" suggestion. Since I've had mine I've stopped looking for some thing "better" because I am indeed "happy".
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 11:30am
Thanks everyone. I previously used a Quad 33/303S preamp/amp but seeing as it was nearly 5 decades old (with inner components as old) I suspected it was acting a pretty big bottleneck in the system. And as well as that it had been acting funny lately and I began to fear for the safety of the electrostats. So I decided a new amp was the way to go. Of course the Proprius was my go to alternative and I had a feeling that it might be jusr the perfect amp to replace the Quad, in large part because of its smart output control. Which of course also lets you use it without need for a preamp if you're only using a single source. Needless to say, I am indeed very happy with the Proprius and it seems to be working formidably with the ESL-57s
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Do you leave the ESL-57s powered on all the time as well? I am under the impression that electrostatic panels need to be fully energised/saturated with charge before they sound their best.

Hi Ash,

Yes they are indeed left powered on continuously. And if they have been powered down they will need to be left on for several hours before they can be safely used again, while they build up their electric charge once more, or so I have been told at least. Therefore it's not viable to ever turn them off, unless you're going away for some time.
Johan
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
If the 303 hasn't been serviced fully in 50 years I would expect it to be past its best despite being designed for the els57.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

If the 303 hasn't been serviced fully in 50 years I would expect it to be past its best despite being designed for the els57.

I think it had some of its capacitors replaced 10 years ago but even so I still think it was very much the weaker link in the system. Also it had started to act up lately with sudden bursts of volume output raises so I felt it had to go. If I could have afforded to I would have replaced it much sooner but I didn't want to go for any half measures only to upgrade to the Proprius again further down the line.. I have the simplest tastes, I'm always satisfied with the very best
Johan
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:24pm
The simplest 'good' tastes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic