FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Making a grounding wire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
schodge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a grounding wire
    Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 2:40am
I just got my Novo in, and was about to make a grounding wire for it, when I noticed the instructions say to put a 100k resistor in series with the wire.  Is this necessary?  (And why so?)

Anyway, I had a plug, a length of wire, and a spade, and I was going to connect the wire to the ground prong of the plug, leave the hot and neutral unwired, and terminate the wire in a crimp spade to hook to the amp.  If I must add a resistor in, I'm not sure how to do so.

I could try soldering the R to the end of the wire, and then soldering the spade to it (instead of crimping), and then use heatshrink tubing around the whole mess, but I'm worried about the mechnical strength of those resistor leads.

Has anyone else built something like this?  Sadly, nothing on my desk at work is grounded save for the monitor, which lacks any exposed metal to attach to, so I must go to the power strip for a ground.

Shayne
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 2:57am
Hi Shayne,

You know what us engineers are like??? Just doing it by the book, but what we say and what we do at home can be entirely different...

The 100k resistor would help if there was a ground loop issue. If you run the wire direct to earth and you don't get any hum, that's it! All done and dusted!

I have to say this next bit: if you wire to a plug the earth wire has to be colour coded green/yellow and be suitably mains rated. Note to self: must rewrite the instructions to make them clearer.

Please share your results with us.

Best wishes,
Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 3:31am

Shayne,  your PC case will be grounded and any of the case screws at the rear should work OK. - I have used that method, preferably with single core wire which does not even need a spade.  1 strand stripped out of a Cat 5/6 cable will do.

Well worth doing IMO, the ground wire, unless your source is grounded to mains earth or the pass through sockets are connected to a mains earthed amplifier or preamp.

schodge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 6:29am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Shayne,  your PC case will be grounded and any of the case screws at the rear should work OK.

Unfortunately, it's a laptop in a docking station, and its power supply is only two-prong.  Go figure.

When I get a chance next week, I'll try my kludge and see how it works.

Shayne
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 6:48am

Shayne, yes, I know the type - bummer.

Revert to plan "A" Wink - still think it will provide a noticeable improvement so worth the hassle.

ajrduff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajrduff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 7:01pm

Reading through my Novo's instructions again and found this topic... I have no audible hum from mine but if earthing it will get the best from it I'm all for it.

As a complete electronics numbskull I want to be absolutely sure I've got the right idea before shorting out my house. Am I right in saying I can get the desired effect either by connecting a wire from the grounding post to something metal on another appliance which is earthed (for example, a screwhead on the back of a PC) OR by connecting it to the earth terminal of an ordinary mains plug, leaving the other terminals unconnected, then plugging this into the mains?

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 8:51pm

Yes,

you have the right idea.

The issue addressed is not specifically "hum", it is the draining of the residual current from the switch mode PS - this seems to clear up the sound to a degree.(if the Novo is connected to a power amp that is mains earthed or another component that is mains earthed, via its RCA leads then this may not be necessary)

Run your fingertips lightly over the case of the Novo and you will feel a slight "tingle" or vibration, this is the residual current, grounding it drains this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic