FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Volume Controls better @ 11:00 and above

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:55pm
Bob hi just revisited six wives if Henry visit ( Rick wakeman) something I think Transmission lines can be spectacular at power, dynamics and scale.
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:58pm
I'm not sure I understand most of this but I genuinely find it fascinating. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to explain it all. I must confess, I've been under the assumption that more power was better simply because that's what I've always been told. In fact, part of my concern about my existing amp was that it didn't have enough power (85W per channel at 4 ohms) to drive a 100W rated pair of 4 ohm speakers (efficiency 88dB at 1m). 

From what I can understand, that's BS.
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:47pm
Hi Paul,
 Yes, you have nothing to worry about with the info you posted on "Hi-Fi Database.com" ... your Denon PMA-355UK should last many years with good quality sound. Denon is a well-liked brand for many reasons.
 I found your amp's specs through a search on the web and the only post that had the actual specs was here:
http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed/Denon_PMA-355UK_142.php 
 It seems Denon does not keep information available for discontinued models. I would think they would help a former owner, though.

My current amp is a Dynaco ST-120a rated at 60 watts RMS into 8 ohms, 90 watts RMS into 4 ohms...
 similar power to yours. I'm driving  200+ watts RMS capable speakers with this amp.
I have an attenuator (Z matched input to output, 10 dB) set on it's input to bring a custom made (by me) volume control into 9:00 to 2:00 range for normal listening levels.

The 8 ohm speakers are rated at 95 dB SPL @ 1 watt / 1 meter, so I rarely turn it up above 10:00 where i"m driving about 0.1 watts making about 85 dB per channel.
 That level is even bad for the wife who has migraines all the time. Ouch
I can't wait 'till the times when I have the house to myself when she goes out, then maybe I can exercise my "still tight" speakers!Wink  But not more than 10 watts where I'll be hearing 105 dB ! That is just loud enough I figure. Big smile

Footnote: The Dynaco solid state ST-120a has only 6 transistors total per channel to make 60 watts RMS with a 1.5 volt peak input. Less active components = more of the original signal information passed through. (if this was a 25 watt RMS amp, it could be possibly designed with 4 transistors in the signal path.)

Edited by BAK - 25 Mar 2016 at 12:09am
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:18pm
In marketing the golden rule is repetition. It is truly the way to get rich. Unfortunately I'm too honest for that.

What you have to do is latch onto a popular notion such as "more power is better", and have at the ready a suitably rated product to sell.

People reading that same sentiment in other places will see you as being an expert in your field, and never think once to question it. They will immediately belittle anybody swimming against the tide, even if that person is telling the truth...

For example, the number of people who blame me for problems eventually found to be another system component's fault. They would never apportion blame to anybody following a popular notion - it is far easier to single out somebody outside the chorus.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

In marketing the golden rule is repetition. 

People reading the same sentiment in other places will see you as being an expert in your field, and never think once to question it. They will immediately belittle anybody swimming against the tide, even if that person is telling the truth...

Seldom have wiser words been spoken.

"And I continued to play the charade as if it were true"

Edited by Ash - 24 Mar 2016 at 11:38pm
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 1:10pm
The collective knowledge on this forum is mainly directed toward finding the truth of High Fidelity sound and how to reproduce the High Fidelity in the home.

I have noticed that all members signed up here are searching for that truth.

Graham has set up this forum, and it's loaner program, to support those seeking the truth.

Many times over, Graham has stated his designs are based on making the music be reproduced as close to the original recording as possible... and in a minimalist fashion. Quote; "Does it sound right to me?" Graham says a lot.

We all owe Graham a lot more than just being a member or owner of GSP Forum and kit.

Here is a call for "Thanks to Graham" for his sojourn for the truth.Clap

(Hey Graham, I had fun side-tracking this topic... in many ways. Big smile )
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 6:56pm
I can't claim to understand all the technical stuff in this thread. However, I have a pair of Graham's Proprius amps and all I can say is that if they had any more power that it would be wasted! I have a reasonably large room playing through a pair of PMC Fact 8 speakers and I can only turn them up to 11 o'clock without being in danger of damaging my hearing. They are bloody good pair of top quality amps with more power than you'd know what to do with. You'd have to have a pair of incredibly inefficient speakers not to be able to drive them!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic