FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New to Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by rootjoose rootjoose wrote:

Hello all new to the forum and I am looking for help and advise on selecting a new phono pre amp as I find my rega fono mk3 a bit laid back.

I never had that model but had another Rega fono that sounded a little dull and rolled off. Not awful but not what I generally prefer. By contrast the Reflex M is a much more engaging listen. I think a home audition would be the way to go if you want to hear the difference between some GS phono preamps and what you currently have. 

What cartridge are you using right now, out of curiosity? 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 9:03am
Hi,
No experience of the Rega but when you mention 'laid back' it recalls the nice but slightly soft & woolly
EAR valve unit that preceded an Era Gold V. The EGV had much better 'attack' & involvement.
The Reflex adds a tad more clarity & insight.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 1:36am
I’ve not used the Fono at home, but when I was auditioning for a new turntable I heard it through the Rega Aria, then through my own Reflex M I’d taken along to the shop. The Reflex M was more open with more detail. It wasn’t “harsh” or “bright” though, just more musically involving for me and gave more intellectual information, too.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Speedysteveb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedysteveb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:18pm
Hello all

New Newbi here!

Suspect Ive been on a similar journey to most here, months of reading opinions on forums and internet 'expert' reviews, getting totally confused, going down expensive blind allys buying phono stages from the internet and being frankly a bit dissapointed by the results!    

then the peny dropped, Need to stop messing about and listen to these amps before I buy one, after all thats what I did when I brought my system......So how do I do that..my local hi fi shop doesnt really carry much stock, just the usual Rega and P******t offerings. I could buy on the internet and send them back if not what I want, but frankly thats a lot of hastle (I have a day job!) and means a depleted bank account for some time until refunds are forthcomming ...

Then, like a beam of sunlight shining on the hi fi budah's polished forhead (hes the hi fi budah so he has headphones and a turntable!), the Graham slee loaner, very exited cant wait!!

Steve 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Speedysteveb Speedysteveb wrote:

Hello all

New Newbi here!

Suspect Ive been on a similar journey to most here, months of reading opinions on forums and internet 'expert' reviews, getting totally confused, going down expensive blind allys buying phono stages from the internet and being frankly a bit dissapointed by the results!    

then the peny dropped, Need to stop messing about and listen to these amps before I buy one, after all thats what I did when I brought my system......So how do I do that..my local hi fi shop doesnt really carry much stock, just the usual Rega and P******t offerings. I could buy on the internet and send them back if not what I want, but frankly thats a lot of hastle (I have a day job!) and means a depleted bank account for some time until refunds are forthcomming ...

Then, like a beam of sunlight shining on the hi fi budah's polished forhead (hes the hi fi budah so he has headphones and a turntable!), the Graham slee loaner, very exited cant wait!!

Steve 

Welcome!
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:40pm
Just to add, I followed the same route, using the loaner programme to try out the Reflex M against the Rega Fono I was using at the time - it was a no brainer, the Reflex M was just so much more musical and transparent...

So as always, the best advice is to stop fixating on the reviews (and I do it all the time) and just listen and see what you like... as I think Graham once mentioned, try something new in your system for a while then take it out and see if you miss it... then you'll know whether it's worth the investment or not.

Lucky for us that the loaner programme allows us to do just that - fantastic customer service.
oohora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oohora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:23pm
Hello 👋🏻 Im a new forum member. 
I’m glad to find out ‘Graham Slee’. And wants to try loaner program before purchasing. Thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic