FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Valves Seen On Graham Slee's Desk!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:38am
Hmm. This raises questions! Increasingly I'm reading that valved-up amps are going more and more neutral in presentation and that solid state and valve pre and power amps are converging into some kind of common ground when it comes to sonic presentation.

Graham, you've just stated you're interested in knowing how low you can get the distortion and that you're not into fuzz-box type constructions. If you're going to build a typical Slee component with openness, scale, clarity and neutrality, what is actually to be gained if you succeed?

If such a device ended up sounding essentially like, for example, the Majestic, well, why build it? The valve version would be more expensive and less environmentally friendly, right? I'm more than happy to be corrected!

So my question is, what are you hoping to gain by using valves?

Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:19am
I'm not for or against valves but I'll find it interesting to see how good (or not) this 100+ year old invention will sound, through Graham's ears at least. I like it when what is considered "out-of-date" old technology still sounds great when used properly. Vinyl being an obvious example.
Aren't ears brilliant
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:41am
I've learned from Graham's previous experiments and bought most of the resulting products. I've got 4 valve guitar amps running and one of my mic preamps has HT valves in it so I'm curious.

James - you've said what I was about to on vinyl and valves.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

If you're going to build a typical Slee component with openness, scale, clarity and neutrality, what is actually to be gained if you succeed?
More choice for customers? Products to appeal to the "bling brigade" that actually sound good? 

I think it's great that Graham is exploring the possibilities of glowing bottles, and if the results generate sales then that has to be good . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 11:12am
I agree - I think it's potentially quite a commercially-astute move.

There is a group of audiophiles out there who are quite convinced that valves sound better, and they just won't buy a solid-state amp no matter how good it sounds. They have expectation bias, but they also have money.

If a product were to exist that has the characteristically excellent Slee sonics but ticks their "glowing tube" box too, it might prove a tempting proposition for them....
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 11:40am
Making the assumption that the sound quality of a GS valve (pre)amp is up to the standard we all expect it to be, the visual design (exposed valves etc) needs to be carefully considered since it seems that folk like to see the glow rather than just know it's there. Wink

However, this is jumping the gun somewhat . . . (but can I sign up as an beta tester, please Graham? Big smile)
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 12:09pm
I think there is still a place for valves. I've heard a few high end valve amps - AR, Jadis etc and the results were stunning but the price was equally stunning. I rather like the old glowing bottles for some reason. I still own an old Unison Research S4 which is not without merit, but ultimately lacks some low end control & my current amp outperforms it by some margin without heating the flat.

Many years ago - just after CD started to become mass market, a mate of mine showed me his, to my eyes, completely bizarre system. TT was some budget Dual or Garrard. The amp was a Leak Stereo 20 played through what looked like a pair of bronze radiators (yup ESL 57's). It was a really great sound and the memory has stayed with me. Best of all he found the whole lot in a skip!!!

Let's not forget that some of Grahams phono stages have been praised for their 'valve like' presentation but with solid state convenience. I've never actually heard a valve phono stage.

An interesting experiment anyway, even if it's not intended to be brought to market

Edited by DaveG - 30 Jan 2016 at 12:14pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic