FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Valves Seen On Graham Slee's Desk!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valves Seen On Graham Slee's Desk!
    Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:52pm
Yes, the V (or T) word has been uttered at 'Slee towers'...

And four valves complete with bases arrived today!

12AX7-12AU7-ECC83-ECC82

Does this mean I've gone crazy?

Does this mean I've swallowed the marketing man's pill?

I hope not, but I thought I'd try and hear what all the fuss is about and have a go at building a preamp line level stage to see just how good a modern performance can be gotten out of tubes.

These are 12AX7 (ECC83) and 12AU7 (ECC82) tubes suitable for preamp use, and because they are very high output impedance (100k roughly) they'll need the help of some solid-state electronics to make them usable.

Often these days they're used in what's called "plate voltage starvation circuits" -- that's what all these Audiophool things that run off 12V wall-warts are about. (see: http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/low-voltage-valve-tube-buffers-hybrids-amps_topic2785.html)

But I'm not into making hi-fi fuzz boxes. I want to see how low I can make their distortion and how natural they can be made to sound.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm
Just be careful you don't start tube rolling, not the same as joint rolling.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:08pm
Crazy? I couldn't possibly comment.
Swallowed the pill? hmm.. unlikely I guess

And speaking of tube rolling I have some NOS early 70's Philips matched 6189 SQ's that I am more than happy to to swap for an Accession! Tongue

Edited by DaveG - 29 Jan 2016 at 6:16pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

Just be careful you don't start tube rolling, not the same as joint rolling.

Embarrassed
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

Crazy? I couldn't possibly comment.
Swallowed the pill? hmm.. unlikely I guess

And speaking of tube rolling I have some NOS early 70's Philips matched 6189's that I am more than happy to to swap for an Accession! Tongue

Some of the prices of 'new old stock' are frightening. The ones I bought are cheapo Chinese from RS, which will get changed (rolled) for Electro-Harmonix if it works.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:38pm
We all know what happened the last time Graham decided to "dabble" in an area of audio electronics for which he wasn't previously known!

... what happened was the Bitzie and the Majestic.

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 7:16pm
But I want a simple USB ADC with gain control for ripping by vinyl.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm
I love the sound of my hybrid pre amp and hybrid power amp.
It sounds superb, so I am really interested in what Graham can come up with.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic