FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius Amp tweaking......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius Amp tweaking......
    Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:47pm
Can the output of these amps be raised at the factory without affecting sonic performance in any way shape or form. If so what is the max?

The reason i ask is because i'm now looking at decent speakers that are a good match for the Proprius.  I'm probably looking at around the £1000-£1500 shelf or stand mounted speakers.  I've been investigating Tannoy, ATC and B&W, they are all rated to handle 300w.  I was looking at Twenty's as well but they are at a higher price point than i want to go.  They are not for a big room either. 
Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:16pm
Yes this was a similar question I was looking to raise thank you. Can they be bridged? Whilst accepting they punch above their nominal ratings I have always been of the view that the more headroom the better and in theory the more ease and control over difficult loads they may bring?

Richard
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:52pm
A pair of Proprius were used for a music evening in a pub venue in the Midlands a few months ago. Unfortunately our roving reporter and my right hand man John C, forgot his camera, and neither did he post about it on here (naughty lad!Wink)

OK, they did use a pair of Klipschorns which are quite sensitive. I am told the event was packed but it was loud enough to get over the noise of the crowd. It was basically a disco using a disco front end with a quality mixer.

John C did comment however that on leaving the venue quite late, the sound could be heard from the car park across the road at a volume fitting for a disco.

Attendees commented on the good quality of the sound and the organisers have asked to use the pair of Proprius again. By the way, the phono preamps used were a pair of Gram Amp 2 SE which the organisers had bought.

So, are they going to be loud enough?

Just because the speakers have a rating of 300 watts does not mean they need 300 watts.

On our two own events (which we invited everybody to but only 30-40 turned up) we demonstrated that 25 watts per channel (real rms) could drive the relatively inefficient 11 Ohm LS35A speakers to a really healthy volume with excellent sound quality in hotel conference rooms much larger than the usual domestic living room.

But, even after saying all that, I guess people may not be convinced.

To bridge Proprius amps requires a balanced feed. One phase and screen is taken to one amp's input. The opposite phase and screen is taken to the other amp's input. The speaker "pos" is taken to the red terminal on the amp with the positive phase input. The speaker "neg" is taken to the red terminal on the amp with the other input.

The Majestic will provide the balanced feed.

The analyser measured a continuous 90 watts into 8 Ohms. The amps were just warm to the touch.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 9:21pm
I've been using Proprius amps with PMC Twenty 23's for a while now and I'm very happy with them. The amps were an upgrade from a pair of Audiolab 8200MB's rated at 250 watts. The Proprius very convincingly outperform the 8200MB, the biggest suprise for me was how much of an improvement there was with bass control, depth and detail.
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

I've been using Proprius amps with PMC Twenty 23's for a while now and I'm very happy with them. The amps were an upgrade from a pair of Audiolab 8200MB's rated at 250 watts. The Proprius very convincingly outperform the 8200MB, the biggest suprise for me was how much of an improvement there was with bass control, depth and detail.

That's a quote worth putting on the Proprius webpage.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm
Many thanks for the input Mr.Slee, very honoured to have you reply to my post.  I guess however that means no to upping the output, OK, fair enough.  I might try bi-amping then but that will require 4 x Proprius amps.  Driving disco speakers is something else though.  Getting expensive now, and there's the Maj DAC i want, and one of those Voyagers i really fancy, and the speakers and CD player.  The whole in my pocket is getting pretty big now, Gawd elp me!

BTW... The ULDE i purchased from you back end of Novermber is starting to really perform and it sounds like it's getting louder. It's been plugged in 24/7 since the day it came nearly 6 wks ago and in the last few days or so the sound has started to noticeably richen, and it's a lot warmer sounding than when i first had it. Equally, it doesn't take so long to kind of get going once music is playing.  I look forward to hearing the sound evolve over a few more weeks.  

Gary, Great review, Twenty 23s, i'm jealous, many thanks for the comments, they must be pretty capable amps, and with great quality i bet.

I feel very encouraged by all your comments, to go out and buy whatever speakers i like, without worrying about driving them or how they will sound.  That's one complication i don't have to stress over. 

Life is better when it's simpler.

Ta very much :D  

Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:59am
Provided that the amp has good control over the speakers then I can't see the need for high wattage amplifiers. As with other parameters, manufacturers use ever higher (or lower) numbers to tempt buyers. I have an amp from the sixties that has a 30 watt rating that seldom needs to have its volume knob beyond 9 o'clock.
Aren't ears brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic