FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius Amp tweaking......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 4:47pm
Jon - Many thanks for your comments, they certainly add weight to the Proprius 25W of high quality output being more than the sum of it's parts.  Enough to drive most speakers and still have quality and performance, that does it for me and has put my mind at ease about what speakers to buy hence the choices i'm about to make.

BAK - Many thanks for what you've posted, i found it really useful.

Opinions would be gratefully accepted on the following speakers....

ATC SCM 11 or 19 Shelf/standmount

PMC Twenty 21 (Shelf/standmount)

Cheers

Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by ROMPerformance ROMPerformance wrote:

heers

The only opinion that counts is your own.You are the one that is going to have to live with whatever you buy .Trust your ears.
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 5:49pm
I haven't heard those exact models but I have heard the twenty.22 which I thought were really verygood. If the house sound carries through to the 21's then they could be a good choice.

I've been curious to try ATC's for ages, but never got round to it. The only experience I have is of their big Pro monitors which I rated very highly back in the day. I believe they are a bit less efficient than average & benefit from a bit of welly.

You also mentioned Tannoys & B&W's in an earlier post. I've owned several pairs of Tannoys (M15's were part of my first proper hi-fi) and I've always liked the marque, usually quite high efficiency & easy to drive. I currently use B&W CM6 s2 which I am rather enjoying, they work well in my fairly small listening room. Took forever to run in though. All are worth a listen.

Definitely audition, preferably with your Proprius (pop them in your pocket, no problem Wink). But beyond that, when you think you have a winner - make your dealer let you take the demo pair home for the weekend (or longer). It's a bit of a faff but imo speaker/room interaction has a far greater impact on SQ than almost anything. In fact I'd go as far as to say a lot of the audiophile tweakery that goes on is a band aid to cover/repair failure to get the fundamentals right. And, yep I've done it wrong loads of times. Slow learner I guess Big smile
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:15pm

If you fancy a bit of DIY, I keep coming across very favourable comments about IPL Acoustics kits, which can also be purchased fully built from e.g. IQ Speakers.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:17pm
Stuart, 

I understand that and you're absolutely right, however, if i had the time and energy to audition everything it would take forever and it would be quite an undertaking in itself.  Unfortunately i don't have that kind of time, nor the energy and inclination to do that therefore i have to put my faith in the fact i value respected industry reviews from well known and not so well known sources, and from actual owners reviews and opinions.

I do a lot of this and it serves me really well, maybe i'm just lucky.  

There are lots of people on this forum with much more experience than me, better tuned hearing etc..., listening to music on high end gear of all persuasions and prices.  I like to think you guys generally have really good ears and like myself not just love music but equally as important, care about how it sounds.

I don't see the point of joining a forum, specially one like this, if you don't also use it as both a technical resource and well of sonically educated opinions and advice based on users with years of experience. That counts for a lot in my book.

I take everything i read and hear, weigh it all up, juggle it for a bit and go from there, specially when it comes to spending money.  

I'm think doing ok so far with the choices of equipment i've made, despite not listening to any of it. 

If anyone thinks there are better choices from a sound or component matching viewpoint, using gear that matches well with GSP kit then i am really keen to hear more.  I haven't spent any money, yet, so i'm still open to ideas although that will start to change Monday first thing.

Hopefully my luck will not run out, just yet.

Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:57pm
Ifor,

I quite like left field choices, interesting option but very few reviews of any kind on these speakers.  

Just looking at Harbeth too.  Interestingly they come across as being the GSP audio of the speaker world. Small independent and highly successful manufacturer of the finest quality sound reproduction equipment money can buy.  Those Harbeth look very good indeed. 

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm

Ifor,

I quite like left field choices, interesting option but very few reviews of any kind on these speakers.  

Just looking at Harbeth too.  Interestingly they come across as being the GSP audio of the speaker world. Small independent and highly successful manufacturer of the finest quality sound reproduction equipment money can buy.  Those Harbeth look very good indeed. 

No, because they're kits you won't find many reviews in the main stream, but if you delve into other fora you should find some genuine user experiences. I've read some posts by guys who have replaced both Harbeths and very expensive PMCs with IPLs.

I plan to build some in the not too distant future.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic