FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius Amp tweaking......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 7:56am
Please try the Proprius controls a bit higher up and see if that helps you.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 7:56am
Originally posted by goldiver goldiver wrote:

I'm still wondering if there's a technical reason for the difference in sound. Is it simply that employing the Proprius pot meters, as opposed to leaving them on full, adds an extra circuit (resistors) to the mix? 

Or is the 'current' to the speakers otherwise affected?

Yes, there is a technical reason, but just leave it at the position it's now set at for four or five days and let me know how it sounds then.

Forgive me for not "techsplaining" too much (although I will) but such subtleties are more involved than you'd think.

There is no "extra circuit" just the pot, and although I go to every length I can to make the sound the same at every tiny increment, the "mathematics" change when a variable is introduced -- that variable being the use of a potentiometer, period.

For example, during development of the Majestic the sound changed as the volume control pot was put into different positions. It was nothing to do with the pot, or the following stage, but because of the output stage of the AD712 op-amps that had been selected at the time. Although being technically brilliant, the emitter-follower output stage, like all EF's isn't perfectly linear, and the increasing load as the volume was turned up, obviously had some effect. It was replaced by an AD823 op-amp, which has a complementary feedback pair output stage (CFP), which is more linear versus output level, and no difference in the sound was noticed.

On the Proprius, the voltage amplifier section uses a traditional feedback pair, and its input transistor "sees" any input impedance as being part of its base resistance. Due to its hFE (its current gain) that base resistance appears as part of its emitter resistance, and that subtly changes the gain of the amplifier.

So, by using the pot to change the gain setting to reduce it, it has a very subtle effect on the "fixed" gain of the amplifier as well.

Any change to the fixed gain alters the bandwidth very slightly, and in your case, has led to a noticeable difference using your speakers. All of this being perfectly normal and it hasn't changed the laws of physics (cap'n).

So, what you do, is set the variables (the pots on either item) to a position where it's just right for you.

(to understand more about amplifiers, buy my book, that I'm still writing...) Embarrassed

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 7:54am
Yes I think what you hear is the top half of the pot resistor in series with the following bit of circuitry. They are highly Alps pots so it is normal.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 6:31am
I view the Proprius dials as being able to adjust the output impedance of the connected load. Impedance falls the further clockwise it is. Sonic differences possibly down to changes of SNR and damping factor but I don't understand it enough to say any more.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
goldiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 11:19pm
I'm still wondering if there's a technical reason for the difference in sound. Is it simply that employing the Proprius pot meters, as opposed to leaving them on full, adds an extra circuit (resistors) to the mix? 

Or is the 'current' to the speakers otherwise affected?
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:45pm
I recently watched this Alan Shaw (Harbeth) video on YouTube which demonstrates how different types of music (I.e. dynamic electronic vs mellow classic) can create vastly different demand on amplifier output, for the same sound level....

Has anyone measured the the Peak or Transient output of the Proprius? I read Bruce's (BAK) comments that into 8ohm load this could be approx. 50 to 75 W resp. It just seems that the Proprius design with it's 25 (Yorkshire ) W has plenty of capacity to handle the most onerous speaker loads and music demands, so I'd be interested to understand more.

It's an academic  question for my listening, where in a small room with nearfield positioning I can't be using 1W output for my little Harbeths to be singing.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:01pm
Graham, could you remind me again why you don't strive to make your amp stages totally silent in terms of background noise? I always remember you saying something like "cut it too much and you've killed it". You have to juggle many parameters simultaneously and rely on 'sensible use' of the product. Basically, dead quiet amps are boring to listen to, yeah?
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic