FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Valve questions from a total numpty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:49pm
I take all the avove back! The amp's a charlatan!!!

Just read the description: Hybrid!

A solid state amp with valves that might be doing something but definitely not power amplification--the dead give-away being its weight: 1.7kg. Not much iron then in its two (stereo) output transformers??

Doubt if it has output transformers, and if not it'll be a little class D solid-state amp.

Thumbs Down

I'd just like to add that I respect good valve designs, but have much contempt for people using valves for marketing hype, especially when the valves are just for show, and from my discussions with my good friend Bob I took it that he really thought he'd bought a valve amp.

Edited by Graham Slee - 06 Jan 2016 at 6:32pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 6:34pm
To be fair, Bob did say that it had a valve preamp. 
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 7:22pm

Quote I'd just like to add that I respect good valve designs

That's a relief, thought I might be banned for using illicit substances for a while there Wink

Bob, small signal valves such as your hybrid uses for preamp duties have, as already noted, a fairly long life, likely years of light use such as a few hours per day.  Best not switched on and off too often or run for short periods.  A couple of times a day should be fine, leave it on for at least an hour or so when you do use it, it will usually sound better after a little warm up time anyway.

Might be worth finding out what valves it runs and getting in a set of spares.

Changing them over is not difficult, nor should they require any adjustments to be made when doing so.  A gentle rotational rocking can be helpful in removing them, when replacing them a careful inspection of the socket and the valve base will show the correct orientation.

Bias adjustment (on amps that do require it) is usually only for power valves not preamp valves.

Edited by tg - 06 Jan 2016 at 7:23pm
Tony G
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 7:34pm
Thanks Tony.

Whether or not these valves do anything, is, for me immaterial. I didn't buy it wanting a "tube sound". I wanted a bluetooth enabled amp with two inputs. This fitted the bill and I got it cheap.

My questions were about looking after the valves, since if they fail I suspect the amp will fail too. If it still works, then the light show is just that - a light show. Embarrassed

Whether or not the company is trying to pull a fast one is something that irks, (and certainly irks Graham!), but TBH I don't really care from a practical point of view, and my money didn't go to the company . . . I only considered it after figuring out that a Novo upstream would provide excellent listening, with the speakers used for TV sound and occasional casual music - most likely from Spotify via my phone and bluetooth. So a quality amp would be wasted. Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:39pm
TBF it is quite pretty to look at...
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

TBF it is quite pretty to look at...
Yes, the bling factor outdoes the audio performance . . . LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 11:07am
Will this work in my amp?

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic