FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

SACD recommends........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SACD recommends........
    Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:36pm
Happy new year all.

Looking for a decent SACD player, somewhere between £600-£1000.

Recommends and opinions gratefully received Big smile 
Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:09pm
How about an Oppo Blu-Ray universal player?

Edited by morris_minor - 01 Jan 2016 at 5:12pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 7:41pm
It looks a great device if i wanted the Bluray with the added flexibility however, my preference is for a device that just does exactly what i want and nothing more so i think i really just want a high quality SACD player that is going to go well with a Maj DAC.

I may well be in the market for a Bluray player in due course and the Oppo you've pointed out looks a great bit of kit.  
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm
The Oppo players seem well regarded, and their multi format capability gives a large measure of future proofing, especially if this is true:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacd-owners-beware.479453/

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm
There's no reason for another manufacturer somewhere in the far east not to copy said chip by means fair or foul.  It will probably happen anyway if it hasn't already.  The Chinese could certainly make a very high quality premium copy any time they wanted but to be true to the original they could just licence the IP from Sony and get it bang on.  

Alternatively i don't think it would be too difficult to personally track down and purchase a few of these chips or alternative equivalent components from other well known manufacturers through broadline component distributors like Farnell and RS, for your personal stash.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm
You do realise that you won't be able to play DSD via the Majestic, don't you?
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:31pm
I have been using a Yamaha CD-S2000 for a couple of years (I found it locally from a Gumtree seller & paid £430!).

1. As a CD transport via Lautus coax into a Majestic DAC. 

2. For SACD into the Majestic analogue input (pass through) via a Lautus stereo RCA pair. I like the fact that it is a pure 2 channel SACD player without the extra multi channel processing.

This sounds excellent playing both formats and is also a beautifully manufactured piece of kit - for instance the disc tray is very solid and smooth as silk in operation. When I played CDs via the inbuilt DAC, this was detailed and nice sounding but rather laid back and 'lazy', however I never intended using it as a stand alone CD player so this was of no consequence.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic