FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Transports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 9:56pm
Having had a Samsung blu ray player for Christmas I've connected the hdmi output to the AV amp (whose front line level outputs feed into my hifi amp) and connected the optical output to my DAC.

Having had a quick listen to a CD it sounded pretty good through the ESS Sabre-equipped DAC but I need to try it with a wider range of discs. Would sound better no doubt through a Majestic but funds won't allow right now :-(
Aren't ears brilliant
Pomponian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pomponian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:50pm
I can endorse the Cambridge CXC. I auditioned the CXC / CXN combination against an Arcam CDS27. I expected to prefer the Arcam as it's an SACD player whereas the CXC is CD only, but the Cambridge blew it away with a much more open and airy sound. The Arcam sounded more congested even playing the SACD layer of the same discs.
Steve.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 12:09am
So if we had to choose between the Cambridge, Audiolab and Cyrus models, what do we do? If we're factoring in the Cyrus, I suppose we also need to consider the Bel Canto? There's nowhere in Melbourne I can hear all four in one place to compare. In fact, there nowhere I can hear any two of them. :(
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:42am
I decided to go with the Cambridge CXC,  mainly due to it's affordability and apparent value for money. I got one on Thursday, from Richer Sounds Milton Keynes, an "Open Box" Ex Demo unit. Unfortunately, when I tried it that evening it wouldn't read CDs, I,ve been away for a couple of days so now I'm going to test their Customer Service!
Could be I end up with a Cyrus...............
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:20am
That sucks! But if customer service is good all will be okay. Good luck!
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:37pm
Pleased to report that Richer Sounds eventually came good. After a few (3) phone calls, I picked up a brand new replacement Cambridge CXC transport today. No fuss, no questions, just a polite apology for the trouble and a brand new unit in place of the "Open Box" one.
Initial impressions, straight out of the box are very good, detailed, perhaps a little bright, but good extended bass as we would expect from the Majestic.
I would think it needs a few days or so to settle/burn in.
I'll see how it develops.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
thewebster62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thewebster62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
Hi
Excuse me for re-opening this but I'm currently looking at cd transports and wondered how you've found the CXC in terms of performace and reliability?
It's noticeable that they hold their value well on ebay which is normally a good sign.

Thanks

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic