FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Brilliant and Gorgeous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
jeremyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 11:42am
Has anyone tried these with Rega arms? This thread - and the HiFi+ review - make these sound extremely tempting and great value, as long as they sit happily on an RB300. I'd be looking at the EH, I think. Though this has just made my shortlist longer again - how am I ever to decide!?

Edited by jeremyo - 03 Jul 2016 at 11:43am
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 1:20pm
Audition one?   There are a select number of dealers who do have serious vinyl front end demo facilities.
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 11:18am
Has anyone who owns a Hana also heard a 2M Black? I'm enjoying the latter's sound but finding it too unforgiving on some of my older vinyl. Given that the Black also has a Shibata stylus, I wonder how the Hana S treats worn grooves in comparison.

Edited by Paul H - 04 Jul 2016 at 11:19am
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Paul H Paul H wrote:

Has anyone who owns a Hana also heard a 2M Black? I'm enjoying the latter's sound but finding it too unforgiving on some of my older vinyl. Given that the Black also has a Shibata stylus, I wonder how the Hana S treats worn grooves in comparison.

Just a thought Paul, if you have a PSU-1 with the Revelation-M. I've found that with the 2M Black & to a lesser extent other MM cartridges, on my system one orientation of the figure-of-8 cable tends to bring out a slight harshness to the treble on less than perfect recordings. Have you tried swapping this around?
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 6:53pm
I don't have a PSU-1 with my Slee, but some useful advice if ever I do upgrade :). 
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:38pm
The Shibata stylus profiles do respond to VTA.
The headshell needs to be parallel to the record0's surface.
It might be worth doing a general VTA setup making use of a tiny bubble level.
If you haven't got a set of bubble levels then you need  set - they're not all that expensive
I wouldn't trust it to visual alignment only.

I can't say that my Hana SH points out faults - they're still there, but nothing attracts serious attention to itself.

Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 11:21am
I have the VTA set slightly tail down, that is, my tonearm is slightly lower at the pivot to reduce the treble slightly. Even so, the 2M Black is really unforgiving of surface noise. I'm tempted to try a Hana S but not if this is a characteristic of Shibata styli in general.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic