FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Brilliant and Gorgeous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by McHolmeM McHolmeM wrote:

The Hana EL or SL appear to be more affordable - what's the verdict on the performance of your EL now its had a few more hours usage?
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Nice. I am expecting to replace my Zyx before long. Is this a good replacement Bob?

I'm very impressed by the EL, and kind of wishing I'd forked out for the Shibata version to get that bit more refinement. But since it was so new, and there were no reviews or opinions anywhere I erred on the side of caution.

On my Kenwood DD, the arm is the limiting factor, and comparing the EL and Zyx R100H was very interesting because the differences to my ears were vanishingly small. It's hard to get over the "expectation bias" of assuming the Zyx to be better, but for all practical purposes I found myself enjoying the Hana just as much as the Zyx for around a quarter of the price. Getting the Hana SL for another £171, which promises to be better because of the stylus profile, would still make it somewhat of a "bargain" in the MC world. The same price for a high output version brings lots of great MMs into the frame - and it would be nice to compare some; no doubt, in time, online reviews will appear doing just that.

But the price/performance ratio of the low output versions is sky high IMO. No doubt being a new brand from an OEM maker has made it very competitive.

Jon - I forget which tonearm you use with your Zyx. It's quite possible you get better performance from your R100 than I do, and you have the lower output version, too, don't you?

Recommending cartridges is a tricky thing. All I can say is I'm very happy indeed with the EL. With Graham's electronics it makes great listening. Big smile

Edited by morris_minor - 01 Jan 2016 at 4:22pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 3:32pm
Thanks for your evaluation, Bob. 

Only two dealers handling Hana and both many miles from here but I'll pursue it with one of them.

I wonder - does having a daughter who shares the same name also count for some kind of recommendation!   
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by McHolmeM McHolmeM wrote:

I wonder - does having a daughter who shares the same name also count for some kind of recommendation!   
Most likely! Wink

I bought mine online (eventually, when their website caught up) from Sound Fidelity. Charles, there, was very helpful.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 6:19pm
Thanks Bob. I've really enjoyed the R100L (yes it is the 0.24mV version) on my OL Zephyr arm, moving it up from the SL1210 to the Gorbe.

The Hana seems to be a bargain and may well be on my shopping list for 2016.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 03 Jan 2016 at 6:38pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 9:06am
FYI.

I've just come across this review of the Hana EL and EH cartridges . . 

And this one of the SL and SH variants . . 

Edited by morris_minor - 22 Jan 2016 at 9:13am
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:22am
The review of the Hana SL pretty much concurs with my impressions this week, the cartridge was fitted on Monday and so far has 5 hours on it so hardly run in yet.

Not so easy to align due to the shape of the body and with a weight half that of the Rondo Red it replaced I was nearly reaching for some Blu Tack to load the headshell to achieve the 2 gram recommended tracking weight. The counterweight on the OL arm was on the limit of its travel.

The Hana SL provides much more detail in the presentation than I've been used to and over a wider soundstage too, seems to be a deeper picture as well and the position of individual instruments can easily be pinpointed. Cymbals are much more accurately presented which is probably a combination of the Shibata stylus and the Tannoy super tweeters complementing each other.

Has worked well with everything that I've thrown at it so far and female vocals are especially good. Played Danny and the Champions of the World yesterday afternoon and then saw the real thing last night, a band well known for their rocking live performances.

Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:27am
These review very well Bob - the SH variant could even tempt an MM acolyte like me Shocked 

Maybe one day (although I currently have my eye on an Audio Note IQ3).
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic