FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo and PS1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
essexman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo and PS1
    Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 10:15am
Hi all,

Just a few brief observations on the Solo and PS1 I purchased this week.

The background to the deal was buying a pair of used RS1s back in August. With no headphone socket on my MF pre amp I scoured the 'Bay for a 'get me started' head amp. Turned up a UK made cheapy which was a whole lot better than I imagined but a little constricted I felt. Started researching and toyed with a few ideas. The Solo grew in appeal and the clincher was  a PayPal money off voucher on a single purchase through Ebay!!

Ordered on Sunday eve and arrived Tuesday (thank you Analogue Seduction) I plugged it in and gave it a try. Immediately better than the cheapy after 5 minutes use!!!

After 24 hours powered up the airiness and depth of the sound stage was starting to come through.

48 hours and I was listening to new recordings of much loved cds.

Last night - 72 hours and I am beginning to wonder whether I will want to listen through 'speakers again!

My question is ....will it get better?

I am genuinely astounded by the performance of the Solo and PS1 and can only thank the positive reviewers for pointing me this way, plus the helpful conversation with Graham's colleague about matching with the Grados.

Kind regards to all.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 12:01pm

Good to hear you are enjoying it so much already, yes, it will continue to improve for some time yet, many have said even up to 400+ hrs of running time (no need to be listening all the time - just leave it plugged in and connected to a source).

Good folk @ analogue seduction, I have dealt with them a few times.

Very nice "cans" too, by all reports, I have yet to have the pleasure of them.

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 3:02pm
essexman, congratulations on your new amp. The Solo w/ the PSU1 is a superb combination which should bring many hours of enjoyment. Plus being close to the manufacturer is an very good bonus.
Miguel
that_hertz View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote that_hertz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 1:30am

Hi Essexman

Your Solo will indeed improve. Miguel (mrarrayo) recommends several hundred
hours before the Solo settles down. Enjoy the journey!

Mike

Philmic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:49pm
Hello everybody,
I'm new on this forum. Yesterday I finally ordered a Solo SRG+PSU1 (on this website/Audio Elevation) after a long time of research and many questions. It's very difficult to hear and compare headphones and amps in the North of France, so I took the risk to believe enthusiastic forums(fora?) posts. I hope I shall not regret my old Stax ! Now, I just have to wait ...
Best regards.
PS : Sorry for my basic English.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 1:13am
Philmic, congratulations on your new acquisition. Today I received my Solo SRG and the Novo Board Kit. Currently the Solo SRG is burning in, if it is anything like the Green Solo I will venture to say it will need a good 250 hours  up to 500 hours. Time will tell.

Miguel
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 11:24pm
I have had my Solo SRG burning in for 22 hours using the switching psu (unit is grounded using the grounding plug on the back of the amp). I am using the D2000 since it also needs burning in (another new toy which I got at a great discount since it is used).

So far with such a limited burn-in and not using the PSU1 I can say:

- The soundstage width is huge! The depth makes the user feel he/she is in the stage w/ the musicians instead of in front of them.
- There is a lot of air between the notes.
- The mids are to die for w/ a level of clarity rarely heard in other amps so early in the burn-in process. At times I feel the musicians are in the same room as I am.
- The amp has great treble extension w/o any harshness or shrillness.
- The bass is tight and very well defined. I wish there was a bit more of it, hope that burn-in and the use of the PSU1 will provide the additional punch.

More to come! ;)
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic