FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession phono stage review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Nice pic, Rich! Looks a thoroughly sensible setup which sounded great, I'm sure . . 

Let's hope the Accession/EXP combo sparked interest among the punters. Wink

Wink

12k turntable sensible?

I think they wanted to show that source is more important than expensive speakers so they were using some £169 Q acoustic speakers.

Still bemused that the upgraded psu is not standard on the 2nd to the top turntable. Oh and I am a fan of origin live.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 01 Mar 2016 at 10:17pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 7:59am
It does seem to be a bit of an 'oddball' system - 12k deck + arm & cart coupled with £169
speakers & is taking the 'source first' concept to the extreme.
Hopefully it worked as intended & sounded excellent, proving OL's point but who in reality
would put together such a system?

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 8:16am
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

12k turntable sensible?
Well, no, not really, but TBH I hadn't really looked closely to see what it was! Embarrassed

However it does show OL's faith in Graham's little boxes, even if slightly strange they didn't use their own phono amp . . . Ermm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 1:38pm
Not sure they still do their own phono stage - website page returns a blank anyway. Agreed it is fairly odd to put £169 speakers with such kit. I guess they are making a point about source 1st. Whats the amp? looks like a Sugden to me.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 1:44pm
IMO it needs a GSP valve amp . . Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

12k turntable sensible?
Well, no, not really, but TBH I hadn't really looked closely to see what it was! Embarrassed

However it does show OL's faith in Graham's little boxes, even if slightly strange they didn't use their own phono amp . . . Ermm

Will confess I am on their news list so I knew what they were doing..Wink
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 3:17am
Time for another Accession update:

Firstly - is there a way to recognize Graham as the living patron saint of the doomed and damaged vinyls? 

It has been close to 2 months with the Accession/Elevator - and I think I have reached the stage of nirvana. I have been rigorously using this with the Miyajima Zero cart for mono  recordings only. And the results have progressed from the impressive to the jaw dropping awesome.

I have to admit - one of my biggest fear in playing the vinyls has been the dread of that pop, click, crackle and skipped track. Things have come to such a head that today I compare playing vinyls akin to playing audio CDs. There is an increased expectation in no noise, zero distractions ....but much much better music - pure, interesting...as intended. 

The only area there the Accession/Elevator combo does not make a dent is the domain of bad pressings and bad recording source. Dang it...I am expecting miracles...is that so unjustified?? Actually even with a bad recording I still get more character...in terms of instrument play and placement. 

On a lark, I recently went ahead and purchased a huge shipment of vinyls at an atrociously low price with overseas shipping included for free. To my horror...I receive 3 huge packets - 180 vinyls in all...of dusty, beaten up, muddy vinyls. I am talking about something stored in that dungeon pit in the Silence of the Lambs...it shall put the lotion...it shall clean those vinyls...it shall now throw all that dirt out and fumigate the house.

A good 30% of these vinyls were so badly beaten up - scratches and all...that I was seriously contemplating asking for a refund. But then the original price was so darned cheap that a refund would have made me money. 

Enter the Zero-Accession-Elevator setup.

Firstly the Zero is not known to be kind and friendly to badly beaten up vinyls. It will generously skip tracks than run thru the maze like Jason Bourne. And in this case a few of the vinyls has something stuck on top...that I had to scratch off with my nails. Welcome to the Rocky Show of Horrors. But once I got the vinyl all clean and setup for play....it was jaw dropping astonishing. 

The playback of the Zero can be heard as it plays...no distortion of any sort....well almost....in between. The playback of these vinyls starts with huge crackle as the needle settles in. But once it settles it....it is all between the cartridge...a cable...and the Elevator/Accession. Sheer joy.

The playback is very detailed, layered and engaging. In case of bad grooves...there is noise...however the noise is compartmentalized...it somehow does not interfere with listening to the track. The noise sounds distant...something that can be cleaned with a simple filter....but even that is not needed. The Accession plays anything audible so well...that any noise just melts into the background. In fact I have found new found respect for some horrible tracks that I never liked. 

The sound from the Accession/Elevator is incredibly detailed. Compared to the Reflex...it adding additional nuance to a clear and punchy/loud/clear playback. It is not loud or anything...just more impactful....clarity is enhanced so that one can hear the instruments and vocals as it was recorded. Trust me...I have heard musicians cough, take a sharp intake of breath, external noise in recording room, voice echoing against the recording room walls...you name it.  In short, I have been transported inside the recording room where the music was played live as they recorded. I have front seat tickets too.

So to summarize...these 180 vinyls...of which 30-50 are badly beaten...well not anymore. They are not useless anymore...I am expecting and hearing fantastic music from them. Graham brings forth new respect to the resilience of the vinyls...to take extreme physical abuse...bear multiple scars and scratches...but still contain fantastic music within their grooves. And thankfully the Zero is able to read...and the Accession/Elevator able to translate it without an iota of nonsense.

Now if only Graham can elevate these miracle machines to correct some horrid recording decisions and playback mistakes....Smile

Cheers
Shashi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic