FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:04pm
Apologies for not following up the rotating cartridge sledge. I will do so at some point but am thinking about a single piece of 3 or 4 mm thick aluminium, rather than the two stainless steel slabs.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 7:10pm
Bank holiday hifi tinkering or cartridge rotation by an indirect route...

Well I was considering a Hana SL but my local hifi shop, otherwise excellent, had just sold their last one. I dug out my Zyx R100L and fitted it to my SME IV arm, arm level on a pop LP with 2g downforce. My R100 is mounted on a 3g aluminium headsheel weight, now superglued so I can screw down from the SME fixed headsheel into the weight's threaded holes.

I really like the sound quite punchy and good separation of panned instruments across L to R. And the music I played sounded very good which is what really matters.

From past blogging you'll know I use a Clearaudio protractor to align my cartridges. Its pillar sits on the spindle so the arm literally goes from spindle to pivot and the alignment is confirmed at the point of maximum tracing error. As I've written before some geometry and algebra shows this distance I call X is the geometric mean SQRT(N1*N2) of the two nodes, N1 and N2, of your chosen alignment.

The SME arm is intended for cartridges with 9.5mm from mounting screws to stylus. Like the Phoenix, my R100 is not standard as its dimension is 9.0mm and so does not strictly work with the SME card protractor. For inner null of 66.0mm I worked out that X would be 89.20mm and the outer null 120.54mm, noting effective length L is fixed at 232.650mm and offset angle (α) at 23.635° so the Linear Offset Lo is 93.271 for the R100 on the SME IV.

Lo=L*sin(α) and Lo=(N1+N2)/2 and X=SQRT(N1*N2). Solving the quadratic equation the null points are N1, N2 = Lo +/-  SQRT(Lo^2 - X^2). That has allowed me to play around with options for X in an Excel sheet that draws the distortion graph for WTE. In reality I have used X= 89.2mm on the protractor and close to SME nulls of 66.0 and 120.5mm.

All the maths aside the music is sounding good!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:38am
The second hand Hana SL is probably staying on my SME IV arm after a short and helpful trial loan.

In the last few weeks I swapped the motor pulley from the dual Rega one that let me use two Michell round belts to a plastic one from Origin Live. I adjusted the dc motor speed to allow for the change in ratios, using my strobe to get the platter rotation right. It would (and has previously worked) work with like that with the two belts but the real reason was to try the OL flat belt.

A few years back I bought an OL flat belt after seeing a magazine review. I am not sure I measured the old belt length correctly because the belt seemed quite taut. The sound was okay, comparable to a single Michel round belt but not the expected gain so I stored it and had the idea of using a Rega dual pulley instead.

My new development was to take the old flat belt and stretch it carefully so I could see if the sound was different with a less taut belt. It was different, I had allowed an hour of running for it to settle and also to set the speed correctly. Overall impression was favourable so I measured the length of the belt path with string (twice this time!) and gave this measurement to OL as I ordered a new flat belt.

It came last week and was a good fit if slacker than I expected but the instructions explain this. I adjusted the motor position slightly to get a reasonable start up without slippage and no pitch variation/wow and flutter when playing. Again I allowed run in time and set the speed with a strobe.

I was very pleased with the sound of the LP's I played with the new belt. It was fuller and solid, the extra detail seemed to work well with the Hana SL too. I recommend trying this belt.

Jon

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:55am
good   Any thoughts as to why the belts sp No different?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:55am
sound different 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 12:14pm
Less vibration getting through due to damping in the OL belt. And probably the two spindles are not rigidly connected with a looser soft belt, perhaps?

Jon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 1:05pm
thanks Jon thank is perhaps logical though bever followed the reasoning behind twin belts, flat belts etc though suspect they will impact on the sound.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
  Share Topic