FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 35>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:41am
Thanks Jon.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:27pm
My latest idea for a tweak is a rotating arm sledge. It would be attached to my fixed SME headsheel by a single bolt, washer, and nut secured through a neat hole between the SME screw mounts. The idea is to fix the arm length L (yes I know that's not strictly correct) whilst being able to vary the offset angle, alpha, slightly so the linear offset* can be altered.

*Lo = L x sin (alpha) is fixed in SME arms at 93.5, which is very good unless you want to play 7 inch single and 83 would better. Lo is also the average of the two null points.

To keep things flush I decided that countersunk or otherwise recessed screwheads were needed to attach the cartridge below the sledge and to attach upwards through the headshell. That means a thicker piece of metal than the readily available 3g headshell weights. So I checked the resonant frequency of my cartridge with the extra weight, 9 Hertz (yes it is at the top end otherwise) so theoretically fine.

It is a cheap experiment and I suspect I'll prefer the standard arm's sound.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 26 Mar 2018 at 10:57pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:08am
The Audiomods arms are a bargain especially when considering the hand crafted engineering.
Good luck with your Gyro mods.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:55pm
Thank you. Yes, they are refined and musical arms. Almost wish I had kept mine...
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
The headshell saga continues. I did get the two spacer weights but haven't got round to the modifications mentioned above. To facilitate a subsequent comparison I decided to fit a single spacer of 3 grammes and liked the sound so much I haven't prioritised the rotating one, doing other stuff this weekend instead. I used 2.5 turns of my DIY height adjuster (see earlier posts) to lift the arm up, corrected the VTF, and checked my alignment. Then started playing some music. Nice. The Hifi News test LP showed the lateral and vertical resonance were both around 10 Hertz, which is a good place to be apparently.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 12:33pm
Trying the new Accession MC loan unit, which is quite wonderful with almost every record I could find (it won't pitch correct or fix bad mixes)... I noticed the sound of my Gorbe's DC motor. It's not a Michell unit but an after market DC motor I fitted, generally doing a good job but making some motor brush noise heard in the room as a quiet whirr that doesn't come out through the cartridge.

I took the motor and bracket out and listened to that noise as I tried various ideas to reduce it. The most successful was covering the bottom of the motor with some acoustic foam. I used double-sided tape to stick the foam pad on after cutting a small central recess to avoid snagging the bottom of the motor spindle. This definitely helped as the bottom of the motor points down through the round hole in the Gorbe's acrylic plinth.

It is less easy to deal with the top end as the pulley is fixed there! Instead I cut a rectangle of acoustic foam just thick enough to sit between my motor base and the Gorbe's acrylic plinth, so blocking an air hole the motor brush noise was escaping through. The dust cover does the rest and is needed when I am playing records in my real house with real dust in the air!

A small offcut of foam and a bit of D/S tape has made quite a difference by eliminating a non-musical background noise. Wish I'd thought of this tweak before and hope it helps someone else.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:03pm
I went a bit further on the cosmetic front by drilling a pulley sized hole and sprayed it black. It sits nicely on the motor unit.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 35>
  Share Topic