FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 35>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 4:25pm
Patent pending?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 9:14pm
Thanks Richard. If only this kind of tweak met the standards for a patent. Arguably it's ingenious and not genius! It was when the screw pitch came to mind that this seemed an easy solution. I set the arm level with the SME card ruler on a thin LP and would raise the arm height by one turn if a thicker LP sounds dull.

I suspect the black plastic stud will fit the now threaded hole (perhaps with a dab of blu-tac) so it is visually reversible.

Anyway I've shared the modification here so other owners can cheaply add a cheap VTA adjuster to their SME IV if they wish to.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:38pm
My dc motor is mounted on a metal plate and connected to my Gorbe's acrylic base by a long M6 bolt. I have been looking at cheap ways to separate it from the acrylic by having a freestanding base sitting on the shelf and giving a stable mount for the motor above. It needs to be cheap, easy to fabricate/adapt and look reasonable when done.

My assumption is that the benefit would be from isolating the motor from the Gorbe so no vibration can get to the arm/platter via the bolt as it could now. To check if it will make a difference I may set up a quick test with an old electrical back box with some weights inside sitting on the wooden shelf and attached to a longer bolt to reach the height needed for the motor bracket.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:02am
les Davis worth a try?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:15pm
Previously on Hifi Man Shed...

That's worth thinking about and may help under the three spikes/cones of the Gorbe. With the motor I'm probably dealing with horizontal rather than vertical movement. I'm moving from an M6 bolt attached to the base of acrylic box which the original mk 2 motor housing was joined to, to a heavy box (1.5kg) that sits on the wooden shelf below. The practical issue in my ideas today and in practice is to handle any rotational pulsing of the motor and resist the horizontal force pulling the motor box stack across - the belt tension. I decided that sticktion keeping it in place relative to the spindle was more important than friction i.e. energy loss between the base weight and wooden shelf. I think I can absorb any motor vibration within the motor/column/base.

I must post some pictures to make things clearer. There are lots of examples of hanging motors off the turntable chassis or platter or on the supporting shelf but away from the main platter/arm sub-chassis, aimed  to absorb motor vibration whilst ensuring any movement remaining does not alter belt tension and bring wow and flutter to platter speed. I'm just DIY'ing what Michell did with their freestanding motor pod twenty years ago.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 20 May 2017 at 9:48pm
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:29pm
A shallow depth double backbox with about 900 grammes of Lead weights around an M6 bolt which goes up to the plate the dc motor is attached to.Some pictures, first of all the heavy box with padded feet. You'll see it has a vertical bolt which goes up to a plate which the motor is attached to. And it sits on the bamboo laminate shelf the record player's spiked/coned fit sit on. The acrylic box is on the top right and its horizontal shelf is relatively dark in this shot. Previously the vertical bolt was attached to the acrylic shelf.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 20 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:35pm
Closeup of bertical bolt and dc motor, heavy box at bottomClose up showing how Lead weights and junction box are clamped by vertical bolt leading to the motor. It is a Rega double pulley secured by a little superglue.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 35>
  Share Topic