FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
Today I did something inspired by Graham's excellent blogs on the challenges around MC cartridges'  suscepibility to RFI and how this affects the preamp. I dug out my old Goldring 1042 moving magnet cartridge (body from mid-nineties) which recently received a new stylus.

I noticed a potential problem straight away around the lack of captive nuts/thread and higher efefctive length/linear offset. My SME arm has a fixed mounting distance based on 9.5mm cartidge length (stylus to mounting screws) and the 1042 seems to be much longer at 12.7mm I think. So I carefully drilled a new pair of holes in the cartridge nearer to the front and got the distance down to about 10mm. Two short bolts and a dab of superglue have made the mounting much easier as I can push them through the SME headshell's hole and spin hex nuts on easily.

The music sounded very good which is partly the 1042 cartridge, mostly the high quality tonearm and turntable and the excellent Accession preamp. The cart is on there now and I have enjoyed a number of albums today. The Phoenix has been carefully boxed up and kept safely for when I fancy a change, it's stylus still looks good under the microscope (250x with LED side lighting like the classic Shure design).

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
I had a 1042 on my GyroSE/Tecnoarm a while back. It sounded very, very good . . . 

I've a feeling this may be getting overlooked recently, especially with Ortofon's 2M series on the go. But all the Goldring 10xx series are good performers at their price points.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:18pm
Agreed. I bought a 1006, later put a 1042 stylus on it and frankly wore it out! I put the cheaper 1012 stylus on which was more lively. Better now with 1042 but it may be the gear I have now! A 1990's cart and VG VFM.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:36am
I refitted my Transfiguration Phoenix (MC) yesterday and was rewarded by a tighter bass lot more midrange and treble detail (than the G1042 MM) that separates different elements in the mix. Not a fair comparison really as the as new price of the cartridges is ten to one. The G1042 was enjoyable listening and pretty good on complex recordings including various classical records I played. Definitely a good backup option for me to keep, as long as the suspension last anyway.

When the Goldring was on my arm I tried the 1012 stylus, after cleaning it and checking under my stylus microscope. It's a simpler stylus design than the 1042 but used to do a pretty good job playing a variety of music. I suspect the cruder sound I heard is partly down to the suspension being 10 years old, which fits the advice I have picked up about the lifespan of the ingenious materials used to support and damp the cantilevers in cartridges.

The Phoenix does sound great. It may well be due to the advice from Graham regarding a much higher capacitative load of 4n7 compared to the as stock 100pF but the sound off record is natural sounding and very good listening. I found some other postings on MC loading that suggested even higher loading and might open a separate thread on our forum as this isn't strictly about the GyroDec/Gorbe.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:59pm
I checked the suspension a couple of weeks ago and it was reassuringly where I left it several months back, level acrylic box and platter. Also the horizontal wires are still taut and limit the sway of the suspended chassis. Also the look of the SME style o-ring suspension has grown on me and I don't miss the Michell springs much, more the brass cylinders that hid them.

Jon

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:34pm
Quite a few years ago I had an AC powered Gyro SE & was very impressed with its aesthetics
& engineering quality but I don't think I got anything like the best out of it due to indifferent
setup & mounting & partnering equipment.

I do regret selling the Gyro & there's a strong temptation to buy another & set it up correctly.
How would current owners describe the sound of the current Gyro when correctly set up?
The arm used would be an Audiomods Classic with a MusicMaker or AN IQ3 cart.
Thanks.Smile

Edited by RichW - 19 Mar 2018 at 2:37pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:31pm
Mine's got the Orbe platter and Pedersen suspension but I did use the stock Gyrodek with a Audiomods series V arm and MC cartridge if that helps. Room filling sound with good stereo spread and clear. That sounded very good to me but the Orbe platter improved the sound IMO with firmer deep bass.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
  Share Topic