FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 35>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:28pm
Just an idea but I wonder if I could isolate the bit of the acrylic box that supports the Michell chassis from the big dust cover. A bit like the Rega RP8 and RP10 do. The GyroDec and Orbe SE's use a spider which is a cutback triangle that includes the three suspension towers, with a second spider below to separate the towers from the shelf facing feet in the Orbe SE's case.

My version would be an acrylic sheet with a triangular cutout tyhat goes under the chassis with a small airgap then the rest of the rectangular base plate for the acrylic dustbox. The dustbox would need its own supports probably resting on sorbothane or a similar vibration absorbing material.

The test would be resting the stylus on a stationary platter and tapping on the Michell dustcover to find out if that is audible or not.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:04pm
If I do try this as a winter project in the hifiman shed I think I will buy a piece of acylic sized to replace the Michell base plate (kept to ensure reversibility), then cut a triangle with flattened apexes (to accommodate the Pedersen tensioning towers) out of that. And the big holes for the motor pod and arm wire, screws to fit the rear panel etc.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:27am
That's a good call Jon and well worth the effort - I made an isolated outer hinged frame to support the cover on my turntable & tapping either of these items only transmits a very low level thud to the stationary platter/stylus. 
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:38pm
Thanks Andrew, I shall make preparations to do this and blog it as usual!
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 8:59pm
I have been weighing up the dust cover options. The lid consisting of top, front and sides is nearly 2kg and is hinged at the top of the rear panel (0.7kg) and the plinth (2.2 kg). With the lid up i.e. open and vertical there will be 2.7 kg over the rear edge of the plinth, nearly enough to push the rear down and lift the front. At the moment it has about 10kg of Gorbe chassis, platter, and tonearm as a counter balance so very stable. Take that away and cut out over 700g of the 2.2kg plinth out for the spider and I think it may be  unstable without rigid support right at the back of the plinth. I also want to avoid the plinth sliding forward to come in contact or even bump the cutaway spider the suspension is hung off.

I have to turn the Majestic volume very high to make the boom of the dust cover audible through the speakers so is it a practical issue or not? Would a partial solution be enough - could I isolate the dustcover from the platter by another means like damping pads or even damp or stiffen the dustcover panels to reduce the boom at source?

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:01pm
Removing the dustover would remove the cause of any boominess at high volume but the snap, crackle, and pop of extra dust on my LP's would be much worse IMO. Switching to an SE version of the Gorbe is not practical in a dusty house!

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:58pm
With the volume at 3 o'clock (very loud for playing record) and the stylus on a stationery platter I tried tapping the dustover and the acylic plinth which is also its base. They did sound different and led me to try the ultimate test, for me at least. With a record playing and the volume at 12 o'clock I tried tapping the dustcover and couldn't hear it or see any change on cone movement. So I decided I wouldn't worry about it any further!

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 35>
  Share Topic