FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 35>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:48am
It was Cardas 33ga ofc copper lit with Cardas tags, foam fill & new horizontal bearings on an RB303 Jon, a worthwhile upgrade & at a very reasonable cost.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:29pm
Very good. I've never tried to change bearings but may try to on my well used RB301 sometime.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Update on the VTA lifter. I have modified one of the remaining M4 grub screws with a notch (carefully cut with junior hacksaw) using a thin black marker pen to make it stand out and also adding a plastic foot. The latter was cut from soft plastic using a leather belt punch and superglued into a hollow at the end of the grub screw. Cheap and works fine.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 6:46pm
I've just bought a VDH right angled Tone Arm Connector to see if the excellent Cusat50 cable could be used with it. TAC's are small and Cusat50 isn't but it may be possible. The VDH cable would allow the cable to drop vertically from my Gorbe so allowing a relatively shallow bend radius.

Despite a head cold I have been enjoying some records. Various old classical LP's and Grafitti Bridge had a spin and it sounded great. I also played the first Lenny Kravitz LP and it sounded much better than I remembered.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:10pm
The right angled connector looks promising but that's on hold as I ordered the Pedersen Gyro mods and I am in the later stages of installing them onto my Gorbe. Fairly straight forward with a logical order to the stages of the work, thoroughly described in the instructions which include drawings and photos. The three parts described on the website give a heavy inert chassis hung on O-rings, which is where my deck will be tomorrow or Wednesday I think. Probably Wednesday as I will be fitting the armboard kit too.

Thankfully I have my Majestic DAC to keep me going.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:05pm
I finished installing the mods on Monday and did the turntable setup on Tuesday, albeit ignoring the horizontal tensioning wires for my first listening session. The wires are now in place and I like the guitar tuner approach used to set their tension. I have gone for a slightly lower chassis height than 6.5mm in order to have headroom over the Orbe clamp when on thicker LP's.

So how does it sound?

Very good. No bass colouration and overhang, just tight deep drum hits and clear sound. I think the midrange and treble sound is also clearer. It passes my upgrade test of hearing more of the music. I have also found that the floating chassis is less susceptible to physical jolts like dropping the lid.

As noted above I fitted the full TT kit and the armboard kit at the same time. Both were straight forward in stages, obviously much quicker on the armboard as it is a swap out and same height afterwards, and the instructions with images were clearly laid out. The Orbe platter hides the covered sand cavities that fill in the three holes in the chassis so only the new tower hardware and the tension wires hardware are visible. It looks fine to me and sounds even better.

Jon

Gekados View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gekados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:56pm
Hi Jon.

Possible to get a pic of the Pedersen mods installed ?

/Lars

I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 35>
  Share Topic