FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:37pm
My phone had a ghost post of a good idea from Richard (?) - set height for 180 gsm LP and use a thin mat to lift a lighter record to the right height. A good idea which had occurred to me a while back as a quick height/VTA fix. Alas I sold my OL mat on a few years ago, a pity but its new owner loves it.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:59pm
Sorry can't claim that one!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 7:39am
Oops, thanks instead to Andrew.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:11am
The AN silver cable is burning in at the moment. It is very delicate, three thin strands of Litz wire, which means careful soldering. I may stick to the internal approach retaining the connectors at each end of the tone arm. However the idea of eliminating 4 solder connections on each channel is quite appealing even if it means careful dressing and very handling of the leads at the cartridge end.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 23 Feb 2017 at 12:18am
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

It would surprise if I'm the first person to think of this in 20 years but just in case... The hole I tapped for the arm height/VTA adjustment is under the black plastic plug circled below in red:
It was fairly easy to tap in with an M4 thread. I took the arm off first! At the moment I am using a 50mm long M4 bolt as proof of concept. I decided to buy some M4 grub screws with allen key hex holes in the top. They are stainless steel so no magnetic issues and probably close enough to silver colour that I can leave one in place. I will glue a plastic foot in the visible hollow on the bottom of the grub screw to avoid scratching the SME arm platform.

Well it has, as they say, worked a treat. The grub screw looks fine and can be set then left in situ. So I may try a small vertical scale like that on the SME protractor to give the repeatability I was looking for. If can make that fit in visually so much the better. Perhaps a stainless steel sleeve next to the arm platform with concentric lines 1mm apart? Or I could measure off the height of the grub screw above the platform?

Edited by Fatmangolf - 23 Feb 2017 at 6:49am
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:51am
I should also add it is all sounding great. I played some late eighties LP's last night and enjoyed the inviting sound I heard.
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:12am
Or I could just use the screw's pitch as one rotation would lower or raise by O.7mm I think. Small notch in edge of screw top with black paint in it. Cheap and easy.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
  Share Topic