FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tracking force

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 10:32pm
I've heard it recommended to set the RB300 VTF control so that it's disabled (it uses a spring, and it's not particularly accurate), and to set VTF as per the RB250.

FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 4:35am
Hi Chris
I have read this as well, you set the tracking weight knob to 3.5, which tightens the spring so it can not move and effect the sound, some people remove it altogether.
Then you set the tracking weight using the balance wheel, i might give it a try , but with the balance weight being so tight it might not work.
Its looking like I will have to get onto the dealer and see if they will set it up, but as I have to use a crutch to walk I will have to get some body to carry the deck to the car.
Mind you it could be worse.

Cheers
Dave
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 7:55am
Originally posted by FAT2BIKER FAT2BIKER wrote:

Jon
Do you set your VTF with the balance weight using the scales.
Cheers
Dave

Yes.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 8:08am
Just to confirm Chris and Dave's point I have an RB301 arm and there is a spring in the tracking weight mechanism. The idea is to set it on zero then adjust the counterweight so the arm 'floats' with the stylus not quite touching the record surface. After that the VTF would be set using the knob up to a maximum of 3.5g. Some other tone arms use a scale on the counterweight for the same convenience feature.

I have read that the Rega tracking weight spring affects the sound but tap testing of 3.5g and 2g (example I chose) indicated little or no difference in sound to me. However I found scales were more accurate than the scale on the tracking force knob which is the main reason I maxed t out and then used scales to measure the VTF, adjusting this with the counterweight position.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:06pm
Will get some digital scales Tuesday or Wednesday.
So will try setting the knob to 3.5, and use the balance weight to set the VTF.
The scales appear the same as Chris`s.
Cheers
Dave
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 8:59pm
Received the scales today.
Turned the knob to 3.5 and set the VTF with balance weight, sounded dull, not my cup of tea.
It still would not play right, so had another go the normal way.
Balanced the arm better this time, set the VTF using the scales, then set the bias to 1.75.
Still not right, I used different bias settings still no joy, so going back to the dealer.
Cheers
Dave
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 9:25pm
On the RB303 arm I had tried turning the dial to max 3.5 and setting VTF with the digital scales, then at zero but I could not detect any difference when playing my regular 'setup' albums.

I decided to turn the dial to the 1.5 marker and used the digital scale to move the counterweight until the scale indicated 1.5gms - as Rega intended. This leaves the spring under slight tension which I consider to be better than at the 3.5 setting where the spring will be 'loose', or zero where it will be under maximum tension. I also want to ensure the counterweight is relatively close to the pivot point on the arm, not too far back on the stub.

When setting tracking force, I remove the platter and have a wooden block below the digital scale that brings the surface level with a typical LP - this is placed at the midpoint between the spindle and the outer edge of the platter so VTF is correct on the arc where music will be played.

(I also have the simple Ortofon beam type balance but on comparing with the calibrated digital scale, this is quite inaccurate, as were the markings on the Rega arm when using their recommended VTF method).

The Audiomods arm is much easier to set by comparison - the counterweight has multiple steel, lead and copper shim options with an additional small fine adjustment weight
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic