FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tracking force

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tracking force
    Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:07pm
Hi
Hope this is in the correct place, not being a  DJ or Pro Turntable user.
When you set the tracking force and bias on an arm which has a lever to raise or lower said arm, should you set it with the lever in the raised position or the lowered. or wont it make any difference in which position the lever is in.
Cheers 
Dave
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:29pm
Ideally VTF should be set with a balance or scales, so cueing arm down.
I have one of these

one of these

and one of these, which gets used most of the time.

Edited by Chris Firth - 09 Sep 2015 at 9:32pm
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:39pm
To accurately gauge bias I use a test record and play the torture tracks while listening over headphones.
If your bias is incorrectly set you will definitely hear it using headphones.  There is readily apparent distortion.
It's easy to get distracted by other things in the room if you try to adjust this listening to your speakers.

There's also an alignment protractor with the record.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 10:12pm
Agree about using scales rather than 'hover 1mm above record and set zero on weight dial.' But a tip I'd offer from early experiences is make sure the headshell/cartridge is level seen from the side when measuring VTF, i.e. same as playing a record. Any of the good scales Chris suggests will be thicker than a standard LP so take the felt matt off (if applicable) and put the scales on the platter.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
FAT2BIKER View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAT2BIKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 1:33pm
Thanks Chris and Jon
Lever down is what I thought, they don't mention it in a utube vid I watched.
I have a set of scales given away by HIFI REVIEW in 1987 they appear to be ok, but maybe I should by something digital.
Cheers
Dave
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 4:39pm
I have nothing useful to add as I'm not hardcore enough to have a TT but this title keeps making me think of a parody version of Parcel Farce, but where they can actually tell where they lost your parcel...

It's Friday, sorry.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 9:56pm
People with hi-fi turntables will already know that getting the down force right ensures the cartridge produces the best sound and above all the stylus is at the correct angle in the record groove. It is straight forward with easily available tools at various prices as Chris has already explained.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 12 Sep 2015 at 12:05pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic