FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:45pm
I had a Sonos Connect 'modded' by them a while ago. Lets just say the words barge pole would be in my advice.

Edited by Gary - 29 May 2016 at 4:45pm
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:02pm
Duly noted.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Given I have neither a barge nor a pole I should be safe I think!!!
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 1:16am
I thought about changing out the power cord on my PSU1, and want your opinions.
I'm wanting to swap it out with an "Audioquest NRG-1.5 (2-Pole)" , or one of the upcoming models NRG-Y2 or NRG-Z2 (3-Poles) "specs on newer models"
Do you think I would gain anything from swapping the power cord out with one of these?
Thanks Gary.

Edited by garygillespie - 03 Jun 2018 at 1:18am
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 1:24am
Originally posted by garygillespie garygillespie wrote:

I thought about changing out the power cord on my PSU1, and want your opinions.
I'm wanting to swap it out with an "Audioquest NRG-1.5 (2-Pole)" , or one of the upcoming models NRG-Y2 or NRG-Z2 (3-Poles) "specs on newer models"
Do you think I would gain anything from swapping the power cord out with one of these?
Thanks Gary.

Before you embark on a power cable journey, have you tried the existing cable by unplugging it at the PSU1 end, and rotating the end through 180° and reinserting it?
Try it if you haven't ....

Report back ....
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:46am
Big transformer; big reservoir capacitor(s) of the right kind. 78XX voltage regulator with 10uF directly across its output. With ground return taken to the right place. Must comply with Kirchhoff's loop rule. One day I will make one. Direct sale only because in some countries local dealers insist on approvals and I'm not willing to be judged by 'the lesser educated' and charged £20K ($30K) at today's prices, just to sell 63 pieces...

Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 10:31am
Definitely try what Chris has suggested. Where the mains power cord enters the PSU1, switch the polarity after listening to music for a few hours. Do it as quickly as you can when you do it. Click the wall switch off, quickly unplug, turn 180 degrees, plug back in, wall switch back on ASAP. Then resume listening for a while. You may notice a difference in clarity, stereo image position and bass positioning/presence, a bit like going to the opticians for a sight test and the optometrist asking you if the letters on the lit screen appear clearer with lens A or lens B and you being able to discern a slight difference. The kind of slight difference that makes a significant difference over extended listening. You may not hear a difference, which is certainly what logic tells you, seeing as this is alternating current. My only suggestion is that it could be explained by subtle directionality bias in copper conductors due to high voltage flash testing during manufacture but I honestly don't know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic