FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thanks for the Proprii loan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:10am
Hi Ernie, I use a Squeezebox Touch with a replacement power supply to feed my Majestic via a 3m Lautus cable. The cable and power supply both improved the sound when I changed to them.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Hi Ernie, I use a Squeezebox Touch with a replacement power supply to feed my Majestic via a 3m Lautus cable. The cable and power supply both improved the sound when I changed to them.

Hi Jon,
I would welcome any information/suggestions about which power supply would be best with my squeezebox touch. My PS is the only weak point in my all GSP system. I'm still using the one originally supplied with the squeezebox.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:06pm
I can confirm it is worth upgrading the Touch's supplied 5 volt power supply Phil. Sorry I can't make a supplier recommendation from experience as as I built my own using a Maplin SMPS feeding into a box I made with loads of capacitors and a low noise regulator bolted to the box as heatsink.

I would probably have bought something like this otherwise:

Click here for MCRU £225

Edited by Fatmangolf - 02 Aug 2015 at 10:16pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 11:56pm
I use one of these for my pre-amp, same supply, but running at 20V - Here
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I would probably have bought something like this otherwise:

Click here for MCRU £225

I have one of these, and it works extremely well.
The chap who designed and builds these is a good friend.

Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm
Gary,
Have you bothered with any mods to the Sonos? I was looking on the web at some of the very expensive mods that are available from off board linear PSU's to uprated digital out conversions.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm
Ernie,
I've had a few Sonos ZP90 / Connects. I have had them modified with varying results. Back in January 2012 I had a ZP90 modified by a company in Doncaster, it consisted of a Level 2 upgrade consisting of an external linear power supply a re-clock and a few other bits. It did sound better when used with a older MF DAC that I had at the time, however later I changed to a Rega DAC and as an experiment I tried it with my brothers standard Sonos to find no difference. My conclusion at the time was that modern DACs that re-clock the digital signal like the Rega just need a competent source. Due to a heat problem (ran very warm, to warm to touch comfortably) I started to question the build quality of the PSU and it's capacitor durability and sold the modified Sonos on.
My current Sonos also has an external linear PSU this time made by a company in Leeds. This time however when compared to my brothers standard Sonos also using a Rega DAC and my Majestic DAC there is a noticeable difference, it's not immediately noticeable but there seams to be more space to the performance and instrument decay detail is increased. It also shows the big gap between a Rega DAC and Majestic.
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic